Objectivism Online Forum

The Film Version Of A Novel Is Always A Disappointing Experience

Rate this topic

Brooke

I think this is a tough assignment, as plainly some are good and some are bad. A lot has to be changed as books and film are very different mediums. This means a lot of the detail, and sub-plots have to be taken out, but a lot of enjoyable visual detail can be put in. See the Harry Potter movies for what I am talking about. I think they are well done, and well adapted to the different format.

To say that the book is even usually better than the movie is like saying that the book is usually better than the play.

A play is meant to be played on the stage, the solution men historically found, to present living drama before men's eyes, ultimately resulting in an unusually intense emotional experience, though the presentation of an idea is just as valid.

So that a movie is meant to be put on the screen, the solution men have found to bring a story the closest to men's eyes. Perhaps the closest men could ever come to something better is to find a way to play movies in one's dreams so that one can sleep while being entertained at the same time.

Jose Gainza.

Edited by AMERICONORMAN

If you intend to try this debate, I think you need to define "better" in objective terms, or better, by objective criteria. As has been pointed out, movies are frequently different experiences from books because the medium requires a different approach. What common characteristics between the two mediums are you going to use to make comparisons? Food for thought...

• 4 weeks later...

All right, how about twisting the issue a bit and proposing that whatever made a novel good is inherently different from what makes a film good. The proof of this is that even the best film versions of books (e.g. “The Godfather”, “Mildred Pierce,” “The Fountainhead”) do not and cannot adhere strictly to the books but instead re-interpret them for the film medium.