Objectivism Online Forum

The Last Place on Earth

Rate this topic

BlackSabbath

Anyone read this book by Roland Huntford?

It concerns the race for the south pole between Captain Scott and Roald Amundsen.

We were having a discussion on the UK objectivist list about it and it is seen as a controversial book in many quarters.

I got the idea to buy it when I was reading the compendium of the Objectivist Magazine (1980-87).

• 2 weeks later...

I read it a couple of years ago, and it was an excellent book. I'm not surprised that it's controversial in the UK, being that part of Huntford's point in the book is that the Brits made a hero out of Scott because he chose to do things the hard way (the "manly" way, I guess . . . ) and died. As if the struggle is made more valuable by pig-headedly making things as hard as possible--rather than thinking them through and planning them carefully and, therefore, being successful. I highly recommend it, if you haven't read it yet. Huntford is a great writer, and I enjoyed his biography of Fridtjof Nansen, as well.