Objectivism Online Forum

Gender Representations in Art

Rate this topic

KendallJ

Granted most photographers (possibly all but one) don't think in these terms

by what means do you suppose that you know the terms in which most photographers think? by the quality of their work? by the subject of their photographs? i don't think there's any way that you could make a broad, sweeping generalization like that unless you are a photography historian.

but I daresay that if Miss Rand had had significant contact with Mr. Adams, her opinion of photography as art might have changed.

The camera makes an image-record of the object before it

There is nothing in Adams' quote that negates the essential reason why Rand did not consider photography art: It is not selective reproduction. Adams is only talking about the subtleties of how to alter the properties of the image-record that the camera takes. Selecting the thing you're going to take a picture of, or how long to expose it is not selective recreation.

A certain type of confusion about the relationship between scientific discoveries and art, leads to a frequently asked question: Is photography an art? The answer is: No. It is a technical, not a creative, skill. Art requires a selective re-creation. A camera cannot perform the basic task of painting: a visual conceptualization, i.e., the creation of a concrete in terms of abstract essentials. The selection of camera angles, lighting or lenses is merely a selection of the means to reproduce various aspects of the given, i.e., of an existing concrete. There is an artistic element in some photographs, which is the result of such selectivity as the photographer can exercise, and some of them can be very beautiful—but the same artistic element (purposeful selectivity) is present in many utilitarian products: in the better kinds of furniture, dress design, automobiles, packaging, etc. The commercial art work in ads (or posters or postage stamps) is frequently done by real artists and has greater esthetic value than many paintings, but utilitarian objects cannot be classified as works of art.

Jesus dude. Instead of copypasta'ing Rand's explanation, why don't you think for yourself?

Randroid alert

Edited by autotaco

Jesus dude. Instead of copypasta'ing Rand's explanation, why don't you think for yourself?

Randroid alert

What evidence do you have that someone who agrees with Rand on a particular issue is not thinking for himself? Why should anyone waste time restating something he already believes to be correct when someone has already developed a good formulation?

And of course it's good of you to come here and issue your alert on a post that is over 18 months old.

Edited by KendallJ

What evidence do you have that someone who agrees with Rand on a particular issue is not thinking for himself? Why should anyone waste time restating something he already believes to be correct when someone has already developed a good formulation?

And of course it's good of you to come here and issue your alert on a post that is over 18 months old.

My evidence is that he has to copy an entire paragraph instead of applying his individual thoughts and using his own words. Repeating an idea in one's own words is a great way to see if someone truely understands & comprehends an idea VS just a standard "input/output".

Also, I'm sorry that I wasn't here 18 months ago to reply promptly.

Edited by autotaco

Repeating an idea in one's own words is a great way to see if someone truely understands & comprehends an idea VS just a standard "input/output".

I'd have to say I agree with this.

But! that doesn't mean that you have to use your own words 100% of the time, especially for expediency, if someone else has said it in a more sophisticated and clear manner than you could.

But! If this is an Objectivist Forum and (implicitly) the goal is to figure out how X fits into the ideas of Objectivism, I think it's safe to say that quoting Objectivism's founder, Ayn Rand, is a good way to ensure that you don't flub up or make weaker the argument that you're trying to make from her POV.

Repeating an idea in one's own words is a great way to see if someone truely understands & comprehends an idea VS just a standard "input/output".

True, if he felt he needed to prove to you that he understood. As it turns out Bold Standard is a long time member of this forum and has demonstrated that he actually does understand Rand's ideas. It is not his duty to prove it with every breath or syllable out of his mouth to anyone who might every possibly question it, as some sort of disclaimer. That was my point about you showing up 18 months late. It was not his job to anticipate you and your arbitrary objection.

There are hundreds of threads here where Rand is quoted, I am just wondering why as your introduction to us you chose to be a cop for this person on this thread and if this is your role, I think you have a lot more work to do.

Be more polite and stop mucking up my thread.

• 1 month later...

Really cool idea...!

I'm not familiar with too many artists that I like at all, but here's what I came up with:

1. Masculine: http://www.themorris.org/art/highlights/su...vifletcher.html

2. Feminine: http://www.artchive.com/artchive/s/sargent/madame_x.jpg Or, as an alternative, I also find this one very striking: http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/vol289/is...m/jcs0402f1.jpg

3. Romantic: http://image44.webshots.com/44/7/50/54/257...99XrJFLb_fs.jpg I also LOVE this painting: http://www.humanitiesweb.org/gallery/4/4.jpg It does make me laugh a bit, though.