Objectivism Online Forum

"Forthcoming calendar events" feature

Rate this topic

What do you think of the new feature?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new feature?

• I don't like it and/or would probably never use it.
    • I like it, but seven days notice is too much.
    • I like it, but seven days notice is not enough.
    • I like it as it is.

Hi board users, some of you may have noticed that last week I activated a board feature called "Forthcoming calendar events" which you can see at the bottom of the main forum page, in the board statistics area. The way it works is that if there is an event coming up, you can enter it in the board calendar (the link for which is at the top of the page on the right side), and that event will be announced in the "Forthcoming calendar events" area some specified number of days in advance. For instance, OCON 2003 begins in seven days--I entered it as an event on the calendar, and now you can see that event in the "Forthcoming calendar events" area on the main forum page (and click on it for more information).

I thought that this would be a good idea to use in conjunction with the "Speakers and Events" forum. Events could be announced through the calendar as well as in that forum, and then further discussion of the events could take place in the forum. It would help remind people of what events are coming up and when, so they can plan to attend if possible (and if they want to).

So what do you guys think?

Normally, I'm not a fan of opinion polls. :D But I figured that if no one is going to use it, then I can save space on the main forum page and remove it. It probably won't get a lot of use for a while, since the board doesn't have too many active users yet, but I think in time, as the board grows and more people get involved, it could be a useful feature. So let me know what you think!

• 1 month later...
The calendar feature is great, but I tried to post an event and got this message: Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below.

And I most definitely was logged in.

Try now -- I added that permission to regular members.

The calendar feature is great, but I tried to post an event and got this message: Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below.

And I most definitely was logged in.

Oops.

Sorry, I didn't realize that members didn't have that permission. Thanks for the input Daniel, and thanks for making the necessary adjustment David.