Objectivism Online Forum

You can be a part of an Objectivist community

Rate this topic

Musashi

It is fantastic to be able to explore Objectivist ideas on a forum like Objectivism Online.

But how much better would it be to be a part of an Objectivist society like Galt’s Gluch? I know of just such a place, within an internet based game called Eve Online.

Eve Online Web Page , Wikipedia Eve Online

The game massive multiplayer environment with over 20,000 people on-line at any given time. It is set in space, but the true power of the game is its economics engine. There are huge markets to mine, build, buy and sell commodities and finished products.

Within the game there is a group of players, called Taggart Transdimensional, TTI Webpage. The group is a place for Objectivist, and those curious about Objectivism, to gather. We use the web-based environment to explore Objectivist based government. This mechanism affords an excellent learning and experimental environment. We have a web-based voice communication system , called teamspeak, that allows us to have conversations while we play. Our members are from all over the world, though we comunicate primarily in English. Taggart Transdimensional provides an excellent learning and experimental environment.

Inquire directly [email protected]

It's interesting, I was playing this game when I just started studying Objectivism, and I ended up in a corporation run by a libertarian. At the time I didn't really know the difference, but that's actually the first place where I started to notice how screwy libertarians could be; the guy was so inconsistent about anything related to politics that he didn't notice contradicting his non-aggression principle half of the time :)

that's actually the first place where I started to notice how screwy libertarians could be; the guy was so inconsistent about anything related to politics that he didn't notice contradicting his non-aggression principle half of the time :P

It’s the drugs. So many of those Libertarians take heavy doses of drugs. I’ve heard they don’t wear underwear as well. I think all the political parties have capable and not so capable participants. You just encountered one of the more colorful members right out of the chute. One thing - you can always count on a Libertarian to have a well developed sense of humor. :D

You bring up an interesting point, about non-aggression though. There is a combat aspect to the game, and yet it is difficult and complicated to attack a specific player. So we have a situation were physical force is possible.

Further enforcing the rights of the individual are very limited within the game mechanics. Yet in TTI we do have high standards of conduct. We light up the darkness of space.

Welcome to the game. You can also join our chat channel in the game "taggart". It will get you in touch with our members and alumni.

Our empire base is in the Eystur system.

I've gotten myself 14-day trial to see what Eve is. After I get through tutorials, I'll start looking for your Taggart.

• 8 months later...

I have an update on this matter.

I did end up joining this in-game corporation; and I am now CEO (leader) of it.

It is an interesting environment that allows to creation and testing of various (political) ideas.

I am now working my way with building a community that is built on individual rights, since most groups in the game are a mix of modern bad ideas. It's fun. :thumbsup:

Why don't we, instead of playing games, make a real go of it, and buy up some plots of land somewhere to create our own galt's gulch?

I've had that question many times since reading AS... Why stick around? We don't need them. I'm with you, Bob.

I've had that question many times since reading AS... Why stick around? We don't need them. I'm with you, Bob.

I'm thinking the hurricane-swept Samana Cay at the farthest east butt-end of the Bahamas. Too remote for anyone to care, and close enough for live-ability. Currently uninhabited, 9 miles long, small coral-reefed harbor. The only people who go there anchor in the harbor for the spearfishing.

I say: inhabit the island, harness the tradewinds with wind power, dig a canal from the west end harbor to the center of the island with a big central harbor/pond, and build the city around that pool. It would kick much butt. Economic staple would likely be tourism, prostitution, tax sheltering and other 'vice' trades such as one finds in Amsterdam. Whee! A regular privateer's playground. Once the ball is rolling, launch our own proprietary telecom satellites and start a tangible-backed global trade currency (stock-based), so that we don't need to rely on US internet cables to do banking.