Objectivism Online Forum

Chat

Rate this topic

Would it be possible to change the chat so that it accurately depicts who is in there? I believe it doesn't update the names until a new person joins, so half the time (or more) you join the chat it says a person is there who actually isn't. I think it would help a great deal if it would only display a name of someone who is actually there. If it takes too much bandwidth to update it continuously, would it be possible to do so, say, every 10 minutes?

I think that could make a big difference in how busy the place is. It used to be a lot more visited before we changed to this different forum version, which I think is a shame.

From what I've seen, when one goes into chat, it shows the correct list. However, the summary-list of users -- displayed on the main forum pages -- continues to show users who have timed out, without explicitly "quitting". I'll take a look at the script that displays the summary.

(Aside: I suspect that fixing this won't increase traffic.)

Edited to add: I just took a look and there's nothing obviously wrong. I'll have to look at the help-forums for the Chat software to see if there's anything mentioned there.

Update: I've posted a question on the relevant forum. Let's see if we get a reply.

Edited by softwareNerd

I figured it out... it must be the skin you're using. I just checked and found that some of the skins do not have the panel showing the Chat status and one skin has it hidden behind the advertisement.

Added: Okay... I've added it into all skins, even at the cost of prettiness (I'm leaving that to David).

Edited by softwareNerd