Objectivism Online Forum

Great and Simple Activism

Rate this topic

I got a letter from ARI asking me to donate money to the Anthem Foundation for Objectivist Scholarship. Anthem raises money to fund fellowships for the study of Objectivism at universities across the country. The letter goes on to say that the University of Pittsburgh (one of the top five philosophy departments in the country, better than Harvard, Yale, MIT, Columbia, Duke and Cornell, says the letter) would like to establish a fellowship to study Objectivism and wants to appoint Dr. Allan Gotthelf for the job (Gotthelf studied with personally with Ayn Rand and, if you have read Intro to Objectivist Epistemology, he is one of the unnamed professors in the appendix). Gotthelf is also well known for his writting on Aristotle. The ltter says that Anthem needs $145,000 a year (the Fellowship will be for three years and then renewable afterwards). They have already raised half the amount. Give some money help spread the word to donate, this is a big deal. The letter says that if you want to help out email John McCaskey at [email protected] (he is Pres. of Anthem)

This seems like one of the biggest deals in recent Objectivist history to me. I think I heard Harry Binswanger say something to the effect 'once there is an Objectivist teaching at an Ivy League school then we know Objectivism will win,' I can't remember exactly. Although Pittsburgh isn't an Ivy League school, it is ranked higher than most of them in philosophy. Plus now when someone says that intellectuals don't take Objectivism seriously you can simply point out that one of the best O'ists teaches at Pitt. Go Objectivism!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, yes, I guess so. Objectivist scholars Sciabarra (NYU), Machan (Claremont), Narveson (Canada), Hessen (Stanford) and many others were fed, watered, and published -- most of which went unread, except Sciabarra's unreadable junk that asserted Ayn Rand was a confused Hegelian. Personally, I always liked the late Ron Merrill best, and he wrote from outside the academic sinecure. I also question $145K per year. Pretty steep.

W.

Those you listed may be sholars of Objectivism, but they are not Objectivist scholars. That's a crucial difference.

I think this is great news, particularly since I will be applying to the University of Pittsburgh's graduate program and may thus get a chance to work with Dr. Gotthelf, about whom I've heard many good things.

I'm going to grad school at the "other" big school in Texas and really regreting not having applied to UT, which will host Tara Smith and both Dr. Peikoff's next semester. It's only an hour's drive away, but the UT Objectivist club is non-existent, which is a real shame becuase they could have had several great speakers this year.

• 3 months later...

This is in response to AshRyan's post of July 3, regarding your interest in studying at the University of Pittsburgh. If you have any questions you'd like me to try to answer, feel free to ask -- at [email protected].

Best wishes,

Allan Gotthelf

Visiting Professor

Fellowship for the Study of Objectivism

University of Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh, PA 15217

P.S. You've heard right....