Objectivism Online Forum

Mythology

Rate this topic

libGommi

It is obvious that Obvjectivism is opposed to religion or anything alluding to spirituality, which I entirely support, as they are indeed based on irrational premises.

What is your opinion on Mythology and folk tales however? Do do believe myths reflect primitive superstitions, or do you respect them on some level? Bear in mind that myths can represent human creativity, and are designed to convey a message or advice.

I respect any story on the level that it portrays men using reason and pursuing values, and a benevolent universe. To the extent that such stories portray man helpless in a malevolent universe tossed about by fate, or gods, then well, its all nice, but worth rejecting. It doesn't mean that man can't fail, just that he should earn his failure by vice.

It is obvious that Obvjectivism is opposed to religion or anything alluding to spirituality, which I entirely support, as they are indeed based on irrational premises.

What is your opinion on Mythology and folk tales however? Do do believe myths reflect primitive superstitions, or do you respect them on some level? Bear in mind that myths can represent human creativity, and are designed to convey a message or advice.

My respect for and opinion of certain Mythology is very high. My favorites are the Greek and Norse myths. I might remind you of the name of Ayn Rand's most famous novel, Atlas Shrugged (in which she does make explicit reference to the myths of Atlas, Prometheus, Atlantis, and even Robin Hood-- just to name several off the top of my head).

Edited by Bold Standard

Keep in mind that Robin Hood was mentioned in AS as an evil mythical character.

But in a certain sense, Ragnar Danneskjöld was an adaptation (i.e., an inversion) of the Robin Hood myth. I've seen Objectivist artists do the same thing with the myth of Icarus-- everything's the same, except Icarus doesn't fall. In one version told by Andy Bernstein in his novel, Heart of a Pagan, the forward thinking Daedalus fastens the wings with bronze instead of wax. That way, the story becomes beautiful and inspiring (like the original myth was up until the tragic finale), and ends with a theme that is opposite of the original one.

Edited by Bold Standard

myth (mth)

n.

a. A traditional, typically ancient story dealing with supernatural beings, ancestors, or heroes that serves as a fundamental type in the worldview of a people, as by explaining aspects of the natural world or delineating the psychology, customs, or ideals of society: the myth of Eros and Psyche; a creation myth.

b. Such stories considered as a group: the realm of myth.

2. A popular belief or story that has become associated with a person, institution, or occurrence, especially one considered to illustrate a cultural ideal: a star whose fame turned her into a myth; the pioneer myth of suburbia.

3. A fiction or half-truth, especially one that forms part of an ideology.

4. A fictitious story, person, or thing: "German artillery superiority on the Western Front was a myth" Leon Wolff.

It's latin root simply means "story." With the exception of explaining the natural world without reason, mythology seems to be similar to all good (which means romantic) writing according to Rand.

In one version told by Andy Bernstein in his novel, Heart of a Pagan, the forward thinking Daedalus fastens the wings with bronze instead of wax.

I should clarify that this is actually a story told by one of the characters in his novel, not part of the actual plot of the novel (which is kind of a coming of age story involving college basketball). It's an enjoyable story, but I didn't want anyone to go out and buy it thinking it's about Greek mythology, specifically, and be disappointed. :thumbsup:

I took a class in Greek tragedies, and every story was associated in some way with the Trojan War. In learning the family trees and other back-story, I got an excellent grasp on Greek mythology.

Yes, they're all explicitly supernatural, but I don't think that diminishes their value at all. One of the great things about these myths is their moral clarity. You always know who your heroes are and who your villains are. Everything is on a grand scale (involving royalty and the gods), but the stories are elegantly simple, with clear cause and effect. This isn't to say there isn't any complexity; only that it's clever rather than convoluted. In short, these myths are a refreshing look at human action, with its glorious achievements and occasionally failures (which represent opportunities to learn).

I suppose the best thing is the pure hero worship of the Greeks. Men fought bravely for honor and justice. We may not be fighting for such grand reasons, but we all have our own battles.

Also, while none of the great Greek tragedies is necessarily Objectivist in nature, at least some is atheistic. Euripides, notably, was almost certainly an atheist. Some of his plays even have typical themes of the gods coming down to clean up the mess wrought by man, but are so ridiculous that they must be satire. He was even a proto-feminist.