Objectivism Online Forum

Board Game for a hero

Rate this topic

konerko14

I was just playing Monopoly and I got this idea for a different board game. I thought it was fun buying all these properties and having a great deal of money at the start of the game, but how did one get that rich? I was thinking a great game would be called something like, "Pre-Monopoly." Each player would work at trying to achieve a wealthy businessman stature from starting with very little. I know of some games that are similar to this but those games pretty much rely just on fortunate circumstances such as getting the right number on their dice. Wouldnt it be great to play a game that requires a lot of use from your mind and your ultimate goal is to become a hero?

Like "Life" with some tougher decisions?

Yes, exactly. "Life" actually popped into my mind when I thought of it. But then I realized the winner of "Life", usually depends on being fortunate on what numbers they get when they spin. So, instead of the game already being laid out for you, the players should, in essence, be the creators of the game. They decide how to make money, the size of a loan if needed, how to run their business, and then the obstacles on the way. It would be like a capitalist society, so there would be some rules such as no stealing or use of force. The object of the game is to have the most money at the end or the first one to a million dollars, or something like that. I dont want success in the game to always rely on chance, which would mean dice(etc.) would have a limited or no part to the game.

At the start of the game, the board would pretty much be completely flat, comparable to a small town. As the game goes on, buidings and factories and houses(etc.) could begin to develop, and the small town has a potential to turn into a large city.

To determine how much money a player makes could depend on what he owns currently. If he owns one factory, for instance, he would roll one die and add to that number a certain amount depending on what or how many developments he owns, to figure out how much he gets for pay day. If he owns many developments, he would roll one die and add to that number a larger amount(say 4) depending on what or how many developments he owns. What about losing money you may ask? Well after the die has been rolled and the amount added to it, then the die is rolled again, but this time that number is subtracted from the total. Im not sure I really like this idea though, Just because you own a lot of properties doesnt mean you will run them well. I want the amount of money earned by a player to be from how well they can attract people to their business. What can determine how many people it attracts?

Other suggestions?

Wouldnt it be great to play a game that requires a lot of use from your mind and your ultimate goal is to become a hero?

No, it wouldn't. Board games are less about the game and more about hanging out with your friends. Games that are too involved become tedious and overwhelming at a time when all you want to do is relax.

I'm all for working hard, but i'm for playing hard as well.

No, it wouldn't. Board games are less about the game and more about hanging out with your friends. Games that are too involved become tedious and overwhelming at a time when all you want to do is relax.
I agree. After about 20 minutes of Risk or even Monopoly, I'm just irritated. Video games are a good way to hang out with people.

There's computer game called Capitalism which basically has you building a large company from scratch. It's been updated twice since its original release, the latest version being Capitalism 2.

There are also several board games which involve building up a real estate or business empire of some sort, whose luck element is far less than Monopoly if not quite absent altogether. Two that I have played and can recommend are Settlers of Catan and Puerto Rico.