Objectivism Online Forum

Upcoming Downtime

Rate this topic

• 2 weeks later...

As regulars probably know, in the last few days, the site has been freezing up every now and then.

We still aren't sure what is causing the problem, and the "fixes" that we've attempted have not got rid of the problem.

Just wanted to tell everyone that we're aware of the problem.

As regulars probably know, in the last few days, the site has been freezing up every now and then.

We still aren't sure what is causing the problem, and the "fixes" that we've attempted have not got rid of the problem.

Just wanted to tell everyone that we're aware of the problem.

I'm not sure whether this has to do with the new skin or the server problems, but every time I want to post or look at a profile I have to re-log in to do so. It's not a huge problem at the moment, but if it was long term could be very annoying. Also - was there a reason the skin was changed?

Can't send you an IM due to messenger full error so trying to post anyway I can:

David:

For the past 36 hours, I have been unable to log into the forum. It just keeps taking me to the guest page. All sorts of freaky behavior, like being unable to send this message (I've tried multiple times, but receive a messenger box full error, even though it's 3% full) and others listed below:

Attempting to access the blog page results in this error:

Fatal error: This file has expired. in E:\web\ObjectivismOnline\oo\forum\modules\blog\lib\lib_blogfunctions.php on line 0

When I try to create a topic, I get logged out and get the red screen that says I have to be logged in or create an account.

The board is really out of kilter the past couple of days. But I am afraid it's only my account, as I see new topics and new posts from others that weren't here yesterday.

Just wanted to pass this along, if it's not known already.

--Mark

Board is out of kilter for me as well. It will sometimes get stuck loading a page indefinitely, and other times return a "flood control" error for searches even when it has been well over a minute between them. It has also logged me out randomly.

It does work enough for me to post occasionally.

Board is out of kilter for me as well. ...

It does work enough for me to post occasionally.

"I did a whole post on this this afternoon, but the malfunctioning board sent it slinging into the netherworlds."

same here. guess I'll have to become a premium member soon to help get this claptrap working. *grin*

The site is still not functioning right. We fixed one problem only to be hit with a different one. Plus we have the new version of IPB Forum software. Every now and then the web-server crashes and there is a 30-second freeze while it restarts. At other times, it is unable to recover.

While we're trying to fix this, David is also planning a move to a new Hosting provider.

Meanwhile...

• When creating new posts, save them before hitting the post button or before hitting the preview button. The easiest way to do this is simply to copy the text to clipboard. That way, if it freezes, you can paste to a file for later use.
  • For the next few days, if the site appears to down for more than about 30 minutes, feel free to PM me at softwareNerdAIM. I can at least restart it.

I'm now getting multiple popups every time I load a page from *.objectivismonline.net. The popups are blocked by my blocker, so they don't actually pop up. They're coming from casalemedia.com, information.com, and other places. I've run an adware check and I'm not getting them from any other domain.

Like I said, my blocker catches them, so they're not really a bother. Just thought you should know.

-Q

They do seem to have stopped today.

Out of curiosity, where can I learn more about how popups get attached to a site without the owner's intent?

I'll let you know if I find any more.

I think I have fixed the compatibility issues with the arobase skin, so I have changed it back from the default to arobase.

Also fixed:

Pop-up hack

IE session issues

Please reply if this isn't the case.

Please keep these notices coming. The recent website changes have opened up some security holes, and I will work on closing them again.

The blogs are working again, although this error message appears at the top of the page:

IPB WARNING [2] ob_start() [ref.outcontrol]: output handler 'ob_gzhandler' conflicts with 'zlib output compression' (Line: 1347 of \modules\blog\lib\lib_blogfunctions.php)

Log in persistence seems improved too. I do find that I get logged out some of the time, but not every time like two days ago. Getting better, but still a few bugs here and there.

Don't know if that is your main concern now... But chatroom is not working for me. I get a message of:

Error: the chat cannot be loaded! two possibilities: your browser doesn't support javascript or you didn't setup correctly the server directories rights - don't hesitate to ask some help on the forum www.phpfreechat.net/forumwww.phpfreechat.net/forum

I got this error using IE6.

FYI:

If all goes well, I will be moving the website to a new, MUCH more powerful server sometime this weekend.

Some specs:

Dual Opteron 265 (Dual core)

2048 MB RAM

160GB SATA RAID

100 Mbps Uplink

Edited by GreedyCapitalist

I don't remember seeing a mention of this by anyone yet, but I don't think PMs are working for me. After I "Send Message," nothing new appears in the "Sent Items" folder. As far as I know it was only a problem since Wednesday morning. I'm not positive it's the site; it could be my computer. Does anyone else have this problem?