Objectivism Online Forum

Recommend books for DarkWaters

Rate this topic

DarkWaters

Hello All,

I am planning to acquire some new books to read in the near future, can anyone recommend some (outside of Ayn Rand's stuff, a lot of which I have read by now).

In addition, I am considering reading some of the following books, any comments on them would be helpful.

• Capitalism and Freedom by Milton Friedman
  • John Adams and the Spirit of Liberty by C. Bradley Thompson
  • State of Denial by Carl Woodward
  • The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

At present, I am also open to interesting books in any of the following areas: military history, biology, electricity and economics. I am a Ph.D. student in Operations Research, if that helps make issuing recommendations easier. With regards to biology and electricity specifically, I would like to find a book that is pleasant to read, informative and accessible to individuals with no more than college freshmen level background in the material. I have already enjoyed both The Ominous Parallels and The Capitalist Manifesto.

Thanks!

1. What's the aim of your reading?

2. If you are looking for something interesting in the history of electricity (well, ok, how about electromagnitism?), then check out "Tuxedo Park". It details the history of the invention of radar before and during world war 2. The venture was privately financed by a notable wall st tycoon, and is a great concrete example of how innovation would be financed if it weren't for govt intervention.

• 5 weeks later...
1. What's the aim of your reading?

2. If you are looking for something interesting in the history of electricity (well, ok, how about electromagnitism?), then check out "Tuxedo Park". It details the history of the invention of radar before and during world war 2. The venture was privately financed by a notable wall st tycoon, and is a great concrete example of how innovation would be financed if it weren't for govt intervention.

Wow, it has been almost a month since I got around to replying to this. Forgive my belated response, I have been busy.

Thank you for your recommendations. My main motivation for reading is for recreation; I am a bibliophile. In the near future, I plan to read the following:

• Moneyball by Michael Lewis
  • Brainiac by Ken Jennings
  • A Monetary History of the United States by Milton Friedman
  • John Adams and the Spirit of Liberty by C. Bradley Thompson
  • Market Education by Andrew Coulson

In particular, Dr. Andrew Bernstein personally recommended the last two. I am almost done with the first two (I usually read two or three books in parallel). I will look into Tuxedo Park as it sounds pretty interesting.

Edited by DarkWaters