Objectivism Online Forum

My son's last Cary Band Day

Rate this topic

Four years ago, my son attended the first day of his High School Band Camp and wanted to quit after the first day. We talked about it for a while, we met with the band director, and he hesitantly decided to give it one or two more days. By the third day he was hooked! The first day's difficulty had initially seemed daunting to him by he quickly got in the swing once sticking to it.

His band experiences over the next few years were some of his (and mine) most memorable. The marching band season always ended with the final performance at Cary Band Day. Cary Band Day is one of the longest continuously running events of it's kind. This was an extremely enjoyable weekend which includes a parade and a marching competition. The whole town (literally) seems to shut down for this event. People line the streets for the entire length of the parade and fill the stands for the competition. It has been for me personally a wonderful celebration of music, youth and exuberance.

While I'm excited to say we will be going to Cary again this weekend, I'm saddened that it will be for the last time (at least while my son is performing).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy to say that our last performance at this competition went very well. My son's band took first place in Music, second place in General Effects, and second place overall for their category (out of 7 total bands). Additionally, the pit crew (consisting of myself and several other band parents) took first place for our category.

I'm really going to miss this trip over the next few years.

I'm happy to say that our last performance at this competition went very well. My son's band took first place in Music, second place in General Effects, and second place overall for their category (out of 7 total bands). Additionally, the pit crew (consisting of myself and several other band parents) took first place for our category.

I'm really going to miss this trip over the next few years.

Hey, a fellow band parent!

Congratulations on your and your son's success! My boy is a senior drummer in his high school band. There's nothing they've participated in to rival what your Cary Band Day sounds like, but they've played in many competitions, as well as at the Daytona 500 pre-race parade three years ago and Disney World last year. I share announcing duties and help with the pit crew. Lots of fun! I'm going to miss it, too.

but they've played in many competitions, as well as at the Daytona 500 pre-race parade three years ago and Disney World last year.

Nice to see another band parent!

My son's band did the Indy 500 pre-race parade the day before the race, and the parade on the track (which I attended as well to photograph) the day of the race. His band also played in the Lincoln Center last year. Their most significant performance (IMHO) was in 2004 when the played in the Spring Music Festival in Carnegie Hall. They switch every year between a marching band spring trip and a wind ensemble spring trip. His last one will be some event in Boston in spring 2007.

Cary was smaller this year than in the recent past. Last year they had around 32 bands competing and this year they only had around 28. Still, we got to see ECU's marching band and it was pretty impressive. We've also seen JMU's band and they are phenomenal. 28 Tubas! It's around 300 strong and it practically filled the football field. Loud, solid, great sound.

He tried out for drum corps last winter (The Crossmen) but did not make the cut. He scored well, but there was tons of competition for trumpets (as there is for drums as well).

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like he's going to continue this interest when (if) he goes to Virginia Tech.

Edited by RationalBiker