Objectivism Online Forum

Thanks to all....

Rate this topic

I don't normally do this kind of post. Frankly, I hope people don't see it as inappropriate or corny or whatever, particularly since I haven't even been a member here for that long.

I want to extend my appreciation to the operators and members of this site for creating the environment that I have found here!

I participate in several different forums on a variety of different topics from games, to photography and to politics. Most of these forums are battlegrounds for differing opinions which are expressed in a myriad of different ways. Most of these ways have little to do with facts, logic and reality. I can honestly say that the caliber of debaters on this site far exceed those from the other sites based on my experiences so far.

If you folks ever want a good laugh, or perhaps a fit of frustrations depending on how you view such things, take a look at the forum at the following web site:

www.thepoliticalmachine.com

The purpose of this site if primarily to promote an upcoming game by that name that involves playing campaign manager and getting a president elected. (The beta of the game itself is pretty interesting I must say.) As an aside, the forum is offered for those interested in politics to share their views. In other words, the arena is open, draw your swords. There is a CLEAR delineation of folks on the right and on the left in that forum. There are very few people on there who can present logical positions, but at least there are some. Others are almost shocking in the abundant lack of intellect. Now to be fair, I guess you can't expect too much from a forum on a site whose primary purpose is about a game and the forum is just gravy. All in all the place is interesting to a degree, but it makes me appreciate OOF that much more.

Now I must clarify, I have a fair degree of respect for the site owner (and game developer), Brad Wardell. He provides a couple of products over there you won't find elsewhere, at least not at that level of quality. He has quite definetly taken on a lot of work developing software and operating the forums, as well as presenting some thought provoking articles on the forum.

Alas, I myself could stand to learn more, and strengthen my ability to present positions. At times, I could take a little more time before responding to formulate a better response. This place encourages me to do those things. And it appears to me that the errors I may commit along the way can be constructively criticized in a manner in which I can understand. I find that I value this site and forum far more than any of the others overall. And I definetly have to resort to the dictionary far more often while here! :) Thanks for expanding my vocabulary.

So again, thanks all!

VES

I don't normally do this kind of post.  Frankly, I hope people don't see it as inappropriate or corny or whatever,

[...]

I find that I value this site and forum far more than any of the others overall.  And I definetly have to resort to the dictionary far more often while here!  <_<  Thanks for expanding my vocabulary.

So again, thanks all!

That's not corny. It's lovely!

It is also a stellar example the Objectivist virtue of justice. Condemning evil, when it is rationally appropriate to do so, is important, but gratitude towards those who have given us values is always appropriate.