Objectivism Online Forum

Web-browser-dependent problem

Rate this topic

Hi there.

For some reason I am unable to follow certain links when using Opera web browser. It's all fine in IE (GRRR hate the darn thing), but when I use Opera it gives me a "Sorry, some required files are missing, if you intended to view a topic, it's possible that it's been moved or deleted. Please go back and try again" message. (going back and trying again doesn't solve it).

Yesterday I was trying to find a certain post (relatively new) in

this thread, but the latest posts were no where to be found. They simply didn't appear in the list of posts below (I like this new design BTW).

Some threads open up just fine, some do not.

That's odd, because I use Opera and haven't had the problems you describe. The site works pretty much flawlessly for me. It might have to do with your settings, not that I have any idea which ones. Are you using the latest version of Opera (9.10)?

:thumbsup: . I updated it to the latest version, still no good. Every second thread that I try to open using the "get latest post" link gives me the error message.

Another strange thing is that the style of the pages is different in Opera than in firefox or IE: in Opera I get this list of posts in the thread, while in the other browsers I just get the posts by chronological order without the list of posts.

I tried refreshing the page - but then, I get only the first post and the list of posts in the thread, which I have to go over to seek the latest one (they are not organized by chronological order). So after going over it, I still can't find the latest post (or possibly couple of posts, I didn't check it that thoroughly).

So now all I have to do is visit the forum a day after any post was made, to read it.

I don't want to use firefox or IE. I like Opera. What to do?

Another strange thing is that the style of the pages is different in Opera than in firefox or IE: in Opera I get this list of posts in the thread (any thread, say this one), while in the other browsers I just get the posts by chronological order without the list of posts.
On the page where you see the thread, go to the first post and choose "Options". In the drop-down that appears, there's a section titled "Display Modes". Choose the mode you want. I thought this was a user-setting saved on the server, but it sounds as though this setting is actually being saved in a cookie on your PC, and since there would be different cookies for each of your browsers, you see it differently, depending in each. There is a tiny chance that, the problem you're seeing is related to the display mode and will go away if you switch modes.

There is a tiny chance that, the problem you're seeing is related to the display mode and will go away if you switch modes.

Aha! so it's a mode dependent problem, not a browser dependent problem. I tries switching to "outline" in IE and last-post-link doesn't work there too (in some threads).

Too bad, I like the outline mode. It allows me to follow the different conversations going on in a thread and choose those I am interested in.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Oh yeah... in case it wasn't clear the problem is solved now.

• 3 months later...

I'm having a problem using IE 6 (not IE 6 SP 1) such that when I click on the "reply" button or the "add a reply button" after the edit window appears a bunch of other stuff tries to load up, and then IE crashes. The "fast reply" button seems to be working OK -- at least it didn't crash IE, but the fast reply does not contain anything I can quote from.

I've tried to install the IE 6 SP 1, but I keep being told that something is in the process of installing and I need to reboot. I tried that 6 times and it still won't let the installation of IE 6 SP 1 begin. I've tried to uninstall IE, and I get the message that something is in the process of being installed and I need to reboot.

It's not a virus, since I'm using two virus scanners (not scanning at the same time) and neither one shows the presence of a virus.

Anybody have a clue?

P.S. I had a spelling error in this post, and when I tried to edit it using the full edit button, IE crashed; but using the quick edit when the simple text editor window comes up, everything seems to work fine.

Can somebody check the coding of the buttons to see if a bunch of stuff is trying to load up that is not needed?

I'm using Windows 98, if that helps.

Thanks!

Edited by Thomas M. Miovas Jr.

I'm having a problem using IE 6 (not IE 6 SP 1) such that when I click on the "reply" button or the "add a reply button" after the edit window appears a bunch of other stuff tries to load up, and then IE crashes. The "fast reply" button seems to be working OK -- at least it didn't crash IE, but the fast reply does not contain anything I can quote from.

---

I'm using Windows 98, if that helps.

Thanks!

Hmm, I do not know what could be causing that sort of weirdness. I dont think it is the buttons, they would have to be REALLY badly coded to cause IE to crash, and Im sure the problem would have been mentioned earlier if that was so.

Might I suggest trying Firefox? This forum seems to work better for me in firefox than in IE. That you if FF does not play up you can also find out if its IE playing up, which I suspect has got to be the case.

Hmm, I do not know what could be causing that sort of weirdness. I dont think it is the buttons, they would have to be REALLY badly coded to cause IE to crash, and Im sure the problem would have been mentioned earlier if that was so.

Well, I'm trying IE 6 XP SP 2 on another computer, and it didn't crash. So, it is not a problem with IE in general (which I'm sure would have been discovered by now anyhow).

I guess I'm going to have to manually remove IE and then re-install it.

Thanks.

Hey! It didn't crash this time!

I resolved my problems with IE 6 on my home computer (the one that was crashing when using the buttons on objectivismonline.net) by figuring out why I wasn't able to uninstall and then reinstall IE.

In case someone else has this problem, I will describe what I did (the relevant parts).

Evidently, I had interupted some program that was in the middle of doing one of those automatic update installation procedures; and when I disconnected from the Internet and rebooted, that little code of "installation in progress" was stuck into the MSCONFIG startup menu. In other words, everytime I rebooted, this little code was telling Win 98 that an installation was in progress -- and that wouldn't let me uninstall IE and then reinstall it.

What I had to do was click on the START button, click on RUN, then type in MSCONFIG, click on OK, then after the window pops up, click on STARTUP, which brought up all of the programs that Win 98 was turning on when it rebooted. Under the advisement of a local computer repair person, I unclicked ALL of the programs except for the virus protection programs; and then rebooted.

By doing this, I managed to bypass that little bit of installation code, and was able to unistall IE and then reinstall it and -- voila! -- IE 6 SP 1 from the Microsoft download center is now installed and doesn't crash when the second series of items comes up with the more complicated edit windows of objectivismonline.net.

Oh, you will want to go back into MSCONFIG and re-check those little boxes. I decided not to check the one for the program I think was the culpret; but everything seems to be running smoothly now.

YeeHaa!

:D

Even the EDIT button (full edit) is working well!

Edited by Thomas M. Miovas Jr.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.