Objectivism Online Forum

The most beautiful places on earth?

Rate this topic

Alfa

Crystal Mill, Colorado. Supposedly one of the most photographed spots in all of Colorado. Though it's only accessible by a rough 4-wheel-drive road.

Chaco Culture Natural Historic Park, New Mexico. A very spiritual place as well as a lot of beautiful 800 year old man-made structures.

(Clicking takes you to my Satori Design photography store)

Mill1jpg-1.jpg

ChacoFajadaButte.jpg

ChacoDoor.jpg

I recognize "natural" beauty (whatever that is - why is a beaver damn part of nature while a skyscraper is not?), but I am only really moved by human achievement. As such, I suspect New York City is the winner. I will be able to verify this when I visit NYC this December.

I am impressed by the pictures of Hong Kong posted in this thread.

[...] I am only really moved by human achievement. As such, I suspect New York City is the winner. I will be able to verify this when I visit NYC this December.
Not to burst your bubble, but as Galileo Blogs once posted, NYC has many stifling government laws concerning land ownership. As such, when going through much of the city (a rough estimate may be 70%), everything looks old and dated... because it is. Last time I visited, I found it kind of sad.

On the other hand, culturally the city can be delightful.

Personally, I'd like to go to Hong Kong instead for the same purpose as you.

EDIT: As for "natural" (less messed with) beauty, I enjoy it also. The Earth really can be gorgeous.

Edited by JASKN

• 1 month later...

For NYC, I dunno man. I always thought the piles of garbage late at night on all the residential streets, the constant litter and flyers on the ground, and the puddles of garbage water to be unattractive. And don't get me started on its subways. :P

As for Chinese cities (not going to discuss whether HK and Taiwan are part of China), they're all so polluted and disgusting, they make NYC seem cleaner in comparison. :/

For NYC, I dunno man. I always thought the piles of garbage late at night on all the residential streets, the constant litter and flyers on the ground, and the puddles of garbage water to be unattractive. And don't get me started on its subways. :lol:

As for Chinese cities (not going to discuss whether HK and Taiwan are part of China), they're all so polluted and disgusting, they make NYC seem cleaner in comparison. :/

If there's a garbage pale next to a skyscraper, and you notice the garbage first, that's your problem, not the city's. Without the source of that garbage, there would be no skyscrapers.

It's like standing in Yellowstone, commenting on how disgusting a pile of grizzly bear droppings is next to that geyser.

I imagine Galopagos would be quite breathtaking.

NYC has its ups and downs as far as architecture goes. Nothing beats that skyline. The financial sector is particularly nice, as is Midtown and parts of Brooklyn. But a lot of it is unastounding.

I think Tokyo is extremely beautiful. I've been there so I have first hand evidence to support my claim. It really is as pristine as people say it is (and I went to some very distant parts of Tokyo far beyond the touristy spots). The people are indeed extremely nice. Maybe even nicer to me because I spoke to them in Japanese. I asked for directions from a cleaning lady, a random girl on a bike, and cops. All of them were helpful and courteous almost to the point of incredulity. The transportation is spotlessly clean, safe, and punctual. Most of all, the materialism is quite evident, especially in Ginza. I shopped around in some of the department stores there (Matsuzakaya, Matsuya, and Mitsukoshi). WOW.

Here's a very recent photograph, with the new Tokyo Sky Tree under construction. It will top out at over 2000 feet by 2011.

post-6894-1259451360_thumb.jpg

Edited by Krattle

That is an awesome picture steck. Really.

I suppose I'll speak up about the 'ol T-dot. Walking downtown is fantastic. I rarely get the chance to walk there in the morning anymore due to where I'm living in relation to school, but once a week, I get to walk westward along King St and see all the buildings in that corridor lit by the 11 am sun.

Other good views are from pretty much any main street running North-South depending on how far you are from downtown. Others are looking East-West on Queen St, Front St, Dundas, College...after College it's not as good.

Even better, and actually kind of thrilling, is driving along the Gardiner Expressway in low traffic. The DVP is good too, but I prefer the Gardiner.

I'll have to take pictures if I ever get a camera.

• 7 months later...

Hong Kong - love to be there one day

Auckland, NZ - same, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxy0NHYV9ew

San Diego, CA - I have been there for a semester and I really miss it

Santa Barbara, CA - beautiful!

Carmel, CA - a small gem, Clint Eastwood was mayor there

If you like history, you should visit Andalucia, Spain. Especially Cordoba.

This year I will be visiting Florence and Vienna, and I expect to see a lot.

(If you are there, you can PM me :))

• 2 weeks later...

This year I will be visiting Florence and Vienna, and I expect to see a lot.

Bastian, I've been visiting Vienna two years ago with my friends and I must admit the trip was full of exciting feelings. I wasn't fond of Schönbrunn's and other mansions baroque style... in some way it was sultry and melancholy for me. But Vienna is also the metropoloy of vanguard and I was thrilled to these piano evenings Viennese are crazy about. Anywhere you glance you're able to find special atmosphere of art revolution encroaching...The fact is ages ago there could prime minister or lord walked across the street and nobody watched over him, but artist of court or opera singer was recognized by every shop clerk or cabby. Vienna is still in love with artists, so there are many events to see and I wish you joyfull time!

I couldn't take my eyes off picture that steckSalathe showed. Lucky you! :thumbsup: As for me - the most important thing is harmony in structure and that's why I love natural places as well as ingeniously designed urban space. I wish to find myself in Japan one day to seek experience in European - Asian cultural gulf, but in fact I am pretty much the type of inmate.

kinkaku-ji-splash.jpg

Edited by Ylva