Objectivism Online Forum

Quotes on Top of Forum

Rate this topic

Does anybody else absolutely love the quotes that appear on top of the forum everytime you access the message board? They're such a great collection of sayings...they always perk me up and give me focus when I need it. Sometimes I simply keep refreshing the page to read new quotes. Just wanted to share how much I loved them! :thumbsup:

Happy 2007, everybody.

Edited by Mimpy

Does anybody else absolutely love the quotes that appear on top of the forum everytime you access the message board?
Often, yes. But sometimes, a wacky one will end up in there, like one from Teddy Roosevelt (but not only him), and I wonder things like--is it appropriate for a forum devoted to Objectivism to sport a quote at the top of the page from the first "Progressive" President in the United States? It's much more often that it will be an insightful quote I haven't heard by someone I respect, or a familiar one that gains a new significance and eloquence as an aphorism, separated from its context.

Lately, I haven't noticed the quotes, though. Right now, for instance it simply says "Random Quote" with no quote, immediately under that is an underline and then "Login Form Hi, boldstandard." I don't know if something's fluky with my browser or what.

...On the topic of flukey quotes, it didn't take me long from scrolling through that quotes page to find this: "Your profession is not what brings home your paycheck. Your profession is what you were put on earth to do. With such passion and such intensity that it becomes spiritual in calling.-- Vincent Van Gogh"

Oh yeah? First of all, your profession doesn't bring home your paycheck? What does, then, Welfare or crime? Second, who "puts" you on earth to do anything. Third, why would anyone have put Van Gogh on earth to do the squiggly, swirly, scribbly monstrosities he was famous for? Fourth, is it supposed to be the profession, the putter, or the way in which you were put that posseses the passion and intensity? Or is it you? It's an ambiguous and poorly worded several sentences, at best! IMO, anyway. : P

Edited by Bold Standard