Objectivism Online Forum

Market Education: The Unknown History by Andrew Coulson

Rate this topic

DarkWaters

This is a manifesto on the historical, moral and economic case for privatizing education. Given its accessibility, depth and persuasiveness I suspect this is easily the best book of its kind. Three sections compose this read: what parents want, what has been tried and what works. The author draws on countless examples from history including (but not limited to) classical Athens, the Middle Ages, nineteenth century western civilization, contemporary United States and contemporary Japan. The author is especially painstaking when it comes to revealing the history of education in the United States from the original Protestant crusades to create public schools to prevent children from being "tainted" by Catholic influence to the modern battles for more standardized testing and compulsory attendence.

Market Education was personally recommended to me by Dr. Andrew Bernstein. I highly recommend this as reading for anyone with a strong interest in effective education reform. You can find the book available here.

Edited by DarkWaters