Rate this topic

Books Books Books  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• [i]The Fountainhead[/i]
    • [i]Atlas Shrugged[/i]
    • [i]We The Living[/i]
    • [i]Anthem[/i]

My parents have said that they want to understand me and where I come from philosophically, and so promised to read one book of my choosing by Rand. They won't read a pure philosophy book, so the choice is between her fiction writing... Which do you reccomend I give them?

My parents have said that they want to understand me and where I come from philosophically, and so promised to read one book of my choosing by Rand. They won't read a pure philosophy book, so the choice is between her fiction writing... Which do you reccomend I give them?

Even though it's the longest, Atlas Shrugged. Galt's speech at the end makes everything worth it ;)

If it's only one, then my pick would be The Fountainhead. Yes, it does not present Objectivism explicitly, but I've always found that people relate the individualism better through TF, if they are not necessarily open to Objectivist ideas directly.

You have to judge where your parents are at and what they might respond like.

I think it's between TF and AS anyhow.

If it's only one, then my pick would be The Fountainhead. Yes, it does not present Objectivism explicitly, but I've always found that people relate the individualism better through TF, if they are not necessarily open to Objectivist ideas directly.

You have to judge where your parents are at and what they might respond like.

I think it's between TF and AS anyhow.

Make that two votes for the fountainhead. It's about the soul of an individualist. Much more helpful for understanding one, psychologically speaking, then an overview of their political and economic views.

• 1 year later...

Although this is an old thread and I am sure Cogito's parents have already read the book selection, I voted for The Fountainhead.

When I set out to read Ayn Rand, I decided that I would start with her masterpiece and that led me to choose Atlas Shrugged as my first read. But I was already interested in the philosophy and wanted to read Ayn Rand's greatest work. I wanted to jump in with both feet.

I think that for Cogito's parents, however, The Fountainhead makes a good introduction. As Kendall and David have already said, it's a great introduction to the soul of an individualist. It's a way for someone to dip their toe in the water and see if they want to jump in.

It is great that Cogito's parents are willing to read an Ayn Rand book. I cannot even imagine my devout Catholic parents picking up The Fountainhead and treating it with anything other than condemnation.

So, Cogito, if you are reading this, how did your parents respond to Ayn Rand's ideas?

Don't think you can convert your parents. They see themselves as the protector in the relationship, so psychologically they are the hardest people for you to teach or convince of anything, on the face of the planet. You'd have better chances going up to the pope:)

You can try though, plus they don't have to convert in order to at least have an idea where you're coming from. Keep it light though, and make it your primary goal just to convince them that objectivism is a sane ideology, it's not gonna turn you into a school shooter or a suicide bomber. Tell them that it motivates you to do well in school :P , that should make them happy.

Are they liberals?

Edited by Jake_Ellison

• 1 month later...