Objectivism Online Forum

Introduction

Rate this topic

Hi. B)

I have to say I have found this to be a enjoyable forum. I appreciate the standard of respect. I have always found that serious passion can be delivered with exceptional class if one holds to a grand view of oneself and human beings in general.

So it would seem I'm an unthinking, dogmatic, and hysterical atomaton. No one ever told me so, but I can see these qualities in myself. B)

A bit about myself. I run a mid-scale hardwood sawmill (rough, green lumber) and logging operation in Ontario Canada. We buy private stands of timber rights and/or land for harvest. Family business for five generations with 20 employees. Married, blissfully, 4 wonderful kids, 11F, 10F, 7M, 4M

I'm a bit busy.

(I'll likely blitz on the net here for a bit then ignore it completely for undefined periods of time, then resume blitz, etc.)

I've worked hard to slow the facist land grab enviro-policies of the local government, with limited succes, and have found The Moral Defense of Forestry speech by P Schwartz to give real clarity (even if the approach led from it bounced off the stubborn meatheads in office around here with seemingly limited effect on their thinking.) :) At least they do back down from a fight if they sense a moral conviction (that they don't share) in their adversary and 'compromise' some.

Hence business, family, are my full time jobs and politics, philosophy and movies my full time hobbies. Time for other interests? :lol:

Its good to be here. Be seein' ya.

Paul Hallman

Welcome to the forum. Are you very familiar with the works of Ayn Rand or only the article by Peter Schwartz?

Were you serious about being an "unthinking, dogmatic, and hysterical atomaton." Do you get the sense that the people here would consider you to be based on the readings you've done on the forum.

What are your views on other issues than foresting? Are you a theist, an atheist, a xian, a jew, etc?

Welcome to the forum. Are you very familiar with the works of Ayn Rand or only the article by Peter Schwartz?

Were you serious about being an "unthinking, dogmatic, and hysterical atomaton." Do you get the sense that the people here would consider you to be based on the readings you've done on the forum.

What are your views on other issues than foresting? Are you a theist, an atheist, a xian, a jew, etc?

Thanks.

Please feel free to see my other posts and profile. I am familiar with Ayn Rand, etc.

I was kidding around about the dogmatic bit. I do not think that the people on this forum would find me to be dogmatic regardless of my support for ARI etc., though I'm sure not worried about it if some do. I consider the charge to be crass. Sure, it may be possible in some cases, but most threads I've read here and at other forums demonstrate depth of thinking, even when errors are made. Obviously, Objectivism entails a rejection of dogmatism and appeals to higher authorities, rather, it entails hard thinking and grappling for oneself. Perhaps a part of the reason why my own Objectivist experience has been slow and over many years, as I prefer to deliberate, live, practice and experience my thinking and theories. I'm not just saying this, I didn't actually realize that this was a good Objectivism, inductive approach for some years.

I am atheist. I look forward to sharing my views as I can.

And also, I have always been for industry and capitalism, and against environmentalism and government, even if my earlier justifications were incorrect. My use of the color green in my signature is an attempt at my wry sense of humour, and the avatar is a picture of a forest I have logged out.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome, MoralForester! Always interesting to see someone around here whose profession isn't something along the lines of "college student" or (in my case) "aspiring novelist".

I was kidding around about the dogmatic bit. I do not think that the people on this forum would find me to be dogmatic regardless of my support for ARI etc., though I'm sure not worried about it if some do.

Well, the "official" stand around here (to the extent that there is one) is in favor of ARI . . . so much so that there's been a lengthy discussion about the recent TIA/ARI "split". I used to read TIA quite a lot but I've moved away from it . . . political coverage fatigue, I think.