Objectivism Online Forum

Reading Comprehension

Rate this topic

I am taking the LSAT and this section (reading comprehension) is where I am lack 100% confidence. It made me think a little deeper on the subject and I realized that I have never been a quick or effective reader. I am by no means illiterate (not even close) but I feel like I can be better. Does anyone have any advice or ideas on the subject, at least more than just to slow down, read more, or check for personal interest.

Edited by shane

I am taking the LSAT and this section (reading comprehension) is where I am lack 100% confidence. It made me think a little deeper on the subject and I realized that I have never been a quick or effective reader. I am by no means illiterate (not even close) but I feel like I can be better. Does anyone have any advice or ideas on the subject, at least more than just to slow down, read more, or check for personal interest.

In a word, Integration. As you read, constantly try to connect the pertinent ideas to knowledge you possess, or if reading fiction, to the context of the story. The practical end of this is to ask questions while you read. What does this connect to? Where's the cause? Is this logically correct? Is this similiar to X? Doesn't help with speed reading, of course, but retention for me is much higer if I can place it hiarchically in my knowledge base.

In a word, Integration. As you read, constantly try to connect the pertinent ideas to knowledge you possess, or if reading fiction, to the context of the story. The practical end of this is to ask questions while you read. What does this connect to? Where's the cause? Is this logically correct? Is this similiar to X? Doesn't help with speed reading, of course, but retention for me is much higer if I can place it hiarchically in my knowledge base.

Nice. That is exactly what I was looking for. It is similar to what I've been throwing around in my head as "active reading," basically meaning asking a lot of questions, but obviously the questions have to be related and contextual. When I read it is easy for me to bring forth pictures and feelings and ideas, but only a certain few and they aren't explicitly defined or put into a hiearchy.

Nice. That is exactly what I was looking for. It is similar to what I've been throwing around in my head as "active reading," basically meaning asking a lot of questions, but obviously the questions have to be related and contextual. When I read it is easy for me to bring forth pictures and feelings and ideas, but only a certain few and they aren't explicitly defined or put into a hiearchy.

Something else I forgot to mention is that males are often kinesthetic learners. They need a physical activity to reinforce the concpets. Tapping a pencil, taking notes, etc tend to help.