Objectivism Online Forum

Graduate Studies in Romantic Realist literature

Rate this topic

rdenoncourt

So, I'm thinking about going to graduate school in English literature. I already have professors who will recommend me and I know that I want to study romantic realism. Any ideas of professors savvy in this field who teach at respectable universities? Know of any good programs? What about other paths that will support an interest in romantic realism? I want to start looking around as soon as possible.

Thanks.

So, I'm thinking about going to graduate school in English literature. I already have professors who will recommend me and I know that I want to study romantic realism. Any ideas of professors savvy in this field who teach at respectable universities? Know of any good programs? What about other paths that will support an interest in romantic realism? I want to start looking around as soon as possible.

Thanks.

I would suggest that you enrol in the Van Damme Academy, even if your 60, and learn from Lisa Van Damme. Tore Boeckmann is awesome. And Andrew Bernstein has devoted his life to studying and writing literature.

About Universites I know nothing.

Jose.

The problem with universities is that more than likely they will have no romanticism being taught. Romantic realism will be even more rare. However, I suspect that you will find some courses devoted to Joseph Conrad. Ayn Rand considers him a romantic realist though she doesn't like him. I'm starting to understand why she labels him such. Also, O. Henry she considers one, but he's not serious enough, nor intellectual enough, in his stories.

But I think Romanticism is the more important concept there because there are volumes of referents in the form of works of literature. Ayn Rand is the only great Romantic Realist that I know of. Other Romantic writers merely have a work or two that can fit under this, or perhaps aspects of the "strictly" romantic works.

You're real lesson will be in reading. When you read the Romantic Manifesto and The Art of Fiction, read the works and authors that she names in a positive light. If she takes the time to name them and give them a sentence, in my experience, I have found that it will be at least an interesting read.

You will only understand "Romantic Realism" if you actually understand the works that are considered such. Your learning thus has to be inductive.

Jose.