Objectivism Online Forum

New Cover Illustrations for TFH and AS

Rate this topic

simonsays

I was reading this thread and thought it was strange that the guy found it hard to get hold of Rand. I've seen it in every bookstore here in England. Anyway I came across these books which have new cover illustrations on Amazon.co.uk:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fountainhead-Pengu.../dp/0141188626/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Atlas-Shrugged-Pen...s/dp/0141188936

I absolutely love these illustrations! The first one must be of Dominique. She looks cold and a there is a look of hurt in her eyes but it may just be disinterest. You can see her blonde hair has been covered up (some of it escapes next to her left eye). I think this fits in her not wanting to let the evil world have her beauty.

The second one I am thinking is John Galt? He is well built and well dressed with a disinterested face. I haven't read AS in a while so I can't remember the character descriptions. I think the artist has captured Rand's fiction writing in which she describes her characters faces like laws of nature. I would love to be next to these two characters when they laugh!

What do you guys think of the illustrations?

The AS cover with John Galt hit me like a ton of bricks. Wow, what a depiction. His eyes and the contours of his face connecting with his coat and the buildings in the background -- they're all so grounded, so strong, and so vibrant. Especially the face...his mouth, his eyes, his nose, the tilt of his head. He is so intense, so real, so human -- I can just picture him smiling because I think in some ways he already is in this picture...This is by far the best depiction of Galt I have seen thus far. I would love to get my hands on this drawing.

For The Fountainhead cover, Im not sure why they chose Dominique driving a car. That doesnt make sense to me. What significance does that have with the main purpose of the book? Its a fine illustration of Dominique, but I think there are more important aspects to show in the cover.

The Atlas Shrugged cover is not great in my opinion. I dont particularly like that (John Galt, I assume) has his head slanted towards the floor and his eyes are looking up mischeviously. Also, John Galt doesnt physically come into the story until midway(at least), so giving away anything of his character in the cover I think is a mistake. I think using a symbolic representation of the book would be better.

Well the paintings were made in the 1920's and 30's, so they had to work with the resources available, but they did choose a woman in a very stunning and intriguing pose. As cover art, it does capture a feeling that you get when reading about the characters. And since, again, the art was made before the book, the image is not of Galt--I think the closest match would perhaps be D'Anconia, looking as dark, stylishly wealthy, and European as he does. Galt was blonde if memory serves.