Objectivism Online Forum

Klopstock

Rate this topic

intellectualammo

Klopstock's "The Rite of Spring" or "Celebration of Spring" (Die Fruhlingsfeier) someone has helped me find on a different forum. Thanks Giulia! HERE is what I was told by her to be the first "half" of the ode. This is where it is mentioned in the novel (Catherine Hutter translation):

"She laid her hand on mine and said, 'Klopstock'. I knew at once of what she was thinking- his magnificant ode -and was lost in the emotions that this one word aroused in me. I bent down and kissed her hand, and now there were tears in my eyes too as I looked into hers again. Oh, noble poet, if you could have seen the adoration in those eyes! I hope I need never to hear your name, so oft profaned, spoken again by any other lips!"

Yeah, both that scene and the ode are somewhat pantheist in nature...but still. I just had to find out what I could about it!

Yeah, both that scene and the ode are somewhat pantheist in nature...but still. I just had to find out what I could about it!

Well that's German romantic poetry for you.

But remember, this is the pantheism of Spinoza's "Ethics", which was popular in German Romantic circles.

I believe Peikoff said something about that he would have been a Spinozist if he hadn't found Rand.

• 9 months later...
Klopstock's "The Rite of Spring" or "Celebration of Spring" (Die Fruhlingsfeier) someone has helped me find on a different forum. Thanks Giulia! HERE is what I was told by her to be the first "half" of the ode.

Oh, wow! I just finally found two translations of the ode, here and here. Looks like the former is a complete one, the latter is just not fully translated. I used Google to translate the page I was on for me, though it may be a rough one, I'm not really sure, but at least I have even more of an idea of that ode and have 3 to look at now. I might be able to find more, when I have more time, if I keep clicking on the translated pages in the Google search.