Objectivism Online Forum

Fuel Efficiency - Hybrid Cars

Rate this topic

Elle

I was wondering if anyone here has driven or owns a hybrid car. They are touted at 65 mpg at best, which is about the same as the Vespa I was looking at buying for significantly less money. Of course having a car is much more convienient than a scooter that doesn't go much faster than 40mph, in an area where it rains 9 months out of the year.

Also, I am not in the know about the prospective improvement in hybrid gas mileage...

your thoughts?

They don't really make financial sense now. The hybrid cars are really really expsensive compared to comparable straight gas cars. They also have significantly higher repair costs (The batteries need to be replaced periodically at a cost of $3500). Therefore gas would have to be double or maybe triple for them to pay for themselves. Also, the technology doesn't really add that much mpg. I recall reading that the Insight gained 3mpg over a same weight, same hp, same aerodynamics, gas car.

As of right now, gas is cheap and would be much cheaper if it weren't for silly government laws.

I drove a Toyota Prius extensively for about nine months.  It averaged a little more than 40 miles a gallon doing primarily stop and go driving.

The fact that such technology is available is encouraging, and a boost for the ability of industry to address such problems without necessarily having the government force them to.

Some of us have better plans for our dollars than to waste them on fuel costs.

Capitalists are not wasteful per se. To waste is to cut into one's profits.

Despite the name, hybrid cars are still primarily gas powered. The engine helps store electrical energy, along with other factors like braking, that allow the electric motor to run.

In stop-and-go traffic, mileage will always be less because energy is constantly being wasted through braking and idling.(idling, the engine gets a rich mixture to maintain a certain temperature) The difference in hybrids in this case is basically that less energy is wasted.

I agree that hybrids are not a clear choice for now, I doubt if there are many mechanics even qualified to work on these vehicles for the time being. If you really want mileage with an established technology my best guess would be to go for small diesel operated cars.

On a somewhat related note, fuel-efficiency doesn't come close to stopping with what car but with proper maintenance and maintenance items. Tire pressures, motor oil, oxygen sensors etc....

Want good gas mileage?  Get a 15 year old Honda CRX HF.  Mine still gets about 40 MPG, and it's cuter than the hybrids!  :)

Wow that's about the same year as my Chevy, with 2X better gas mileage!