Objectivism Online Forum

Mormonism and Christianity

Rate this topic

From what I recall, Joseph Smith was actually a convicted con man before he reinvented himself and also invented the Church of Jesus Christ and Latter Day Saints by dictating the book he supposedly received from the Angel Moroni from behind a curtain to his incredibly gullible first disciples.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle sharply criticized Mormonism in his first Sherlock Holmes novel, A Study in Scarlet.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think He claimed to be able to 'divine' water as well as find buried treasure with a seer stone.

Eventually, when the 116 pages were taken from him, he would stick his head into a hat with his seer stone (I don't think that this seer stone was the Urim or Thumim) and the words would magically come to him.

I didn't know that it was mentioned in Sherlock Holmes, ill have to read some more. (I never got into them and only read 1 or 2 short stories)

I think He claimed to be able to 'divine' water as well as find buried treasure with a seer stone.

Eventually, when the 116 pages were taken from him, he would stick his head into a hat with his seer stone (I don't think that this seer stone was the Urim or Thumim) and the words would magically come to him.

I didn't know that it was mentioned in Sherlock Holmes, ill have to read some more. (I never got into them and only read 1 or 2 short stories)

I think and also recall that they have horns and carry pitchforks.

Mormons believe that God was once a normal, mortal being who lived on another planet and attained God-ship by living a good Mormon life.

ryankiel,

Someone posted the above regarding Mormon belief. Is it accurate? If not, what is incorrect?

Dan

The post I made was deleted Odden, if you want to know the LDS doctrine of Exaltation and our beliefs as to where God came from and the nature of God just PM me

ryankiel,

I am still interested as to whether Mormans believe the rest of the quote: did God "live[] on another planet"?

Dan

I think and also recall that they have horns and carry pitchforks.

Now the second one is sorta true (there are quite a lot of Mormon farmers/ranchers in my community)

But If you think that I have lied I would like to know where and why. (Honesty, I do... I am pretty sure I won't be changing my mind on the church... but I do not want to spread lies)

ryankiel,

I am still interested as to whether Mormans believe the rest of the quote: did God "live[] on another planet"?

Dan

No problem, I'll try again..

We believe in the doctrine of progression, where Man is put on earth to grow, learn and progress. We believe that after death we can continue to progress if we choose and eventually create 'worlds without ends'

From this doctrine, it can be inferred that God himself went through this progression, but there is nothing in the scriptures explicitly stating this fact, nor is do we have any information on his history.

As for Kolob, it is simply stated in the book of Abraham that it is the 'star closest to the dwelling of God' and that all time is measured from it.

If you have any other questions I will be happy to try and answer!

And it is also stated by Josoph Smith, the author of the Book of Abraham, in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith that "God himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth, the same as Jesus Christ himself did". If Smith is a liar, the Book of Abraham is of no value because it was penned by a liar.

And it is also stated by Josoph Smith, the author of the Book of Abraham, in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith that "God himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth, the same as Jesus Christ himself did". If Smith is a liar, the Book of Abraham is of no value because it was penned by a liar.

1. The book 'Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith' is not canonized scripture.

2. We believe Joseph Smith did not write The Book of Abraham, but translated it.

3. I wish you had a page number or the full quote so I could garner a little more insight to what he was saying, but we believe God the Father and also Christ dwelt with and walked with Adam here on earth.

1. The book 'Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith' is not canonized scripture.

And the canonised scripture isn't scientific nor philosophical argument - it needs to be taken on faith, which begins with faith that the person who wrote it down wasn't just (pardon my pun) pulling rabbits out of a hat. If the 'translator' starts lying in non-canonized works, how much can you trust his canonized stuff?

If Lex were translating Atlas Shrugged into Russian, and kept slipping in stuff like, "And then Lex Aver, master and commander of the seas, saved Ragnar from the vicious sea-monsters. 'You are a true Hero, Lex', said Ragnar, patting Lex on the back", into the translation, we would be very distrusting of anything else he might choose to write.

2. We believe Joseph Smith did not write The Book of Abraham, but translated it.

We know - it's a great source of amusement for us non-morons that his magic hat translated it into King James English too, and not American English.

3. I wish you had a page number or the full quote so I could garner a little more insight to what he was saying, but we believe God the Father and also Christ dwelt with and walked with Adam here on earth.

I believe I'm the most handsome man on the planet - but that doesn't answer David's question.