Objectivism Online Forum

A Violent School Essay

Rate this topic

RationalBiker

Here's a story about a student arrested for his creative writing essay. Now I'm not sure on why he should be charged with disorderly conduct (perhaps he read it in class and caused "disorder"), but I'm wondering why a student would write about going on a killing rampage and having sex with corpses and then be surprised that it isn't met with a warm reception. The article describes him as a would-be marine and honors student, but I have to question his ability to use common sense.

He could have just been acting smart or clever to push the school system. He did mention that the teacher told them to write an essay on whatver came to mind. He mentioned that he was just following the teacher's instructions, but surely he knew what would happen in the wake of the Virginia Tech attacks.

I, too believe that he should be evaluated.

Wow. I guess he was the first HS Senior to have ever pushed the envelope. Congratulations seem to be in order! :thumbsup:

Really, could the school have possibly over-reacted more grotesquely than this? WTF, how long are we going to just stand by and let free expression be sacrificed on the altar of political correctness? Disgusting. :dough:

Congratulations seem to be in order! :)

I withold congratulations for stupidity and/or mental illness.

how long are we going to just stand by and let free expression be sacrificed on the altar of political correctness?

This isn't so much about being PC or "free expression" as it is being concerned if this is the next guy who's going to walk into a school and start playing pin the bullet on the freshman. My main point was this guy sure picked an idiotic time to "push the envelope" given recent events. This suggests either he is really stupid or he has mental issues. Although I don't think the charge of Disorderly Conduct is warranted BASED ON the limited information in the article, I do think he needs some counseling or an evaluation.

Congratulating someone for "pushing the envelope" is like congratulating them for being "extremely" whatever, without regard to the whatever.

On re-reading the article, I think one aspect of the essay might be read as a real threat, rather than as fiction, He wrote specifically about his teacher "as a teacher, don't be surprised on [sic] inspiring the first CG shooting,...'' (CG = Cary-Grove High).

I think my sarcasm on the "congratulations" comment did not translate. I shall endeavour to be more explicit in the future. :huh:

I still think the reaction was a symptom of the current PC-ified culture. I doubt the reaction would have been nearly as shrill (if any, beyond a failing grade) when I was in HS (late 70's).