Objectivism Online Forum

Philosophy: Who Needs It - 1st Printing Difference

Rate this topic

I just found a first edition copy of Philosophy: Who Needs It? (hardcover)

I found an auction on ebay with a picture of the back of the title page:

auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

up close picture of back of title page: http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/viewimage....&pt=bidpay&sp=0

Now this is my question... The copy I bought had a slightly different back of the title page. As said in the auction, mine also has a $15.95 price on the dust jacket, but the copyright lines are significantly different.

In the ebay auction image, the copyright information is on the line directly above "All rights reserved," and then there is another blank line above it, and then the Leonard Peikoff, Executor line above that. On my copy, though, the title page is exactly the same but the two copyright lines are different.

The first line is identical in text and formatting, and the second copyright line has a capital INTRODUCTION COPYRIGHT instead of just a capital COPYRIGHT. In addition, instead of being in dark text printed on the page, it appears lighter than the rest, almost as if it was stamped on. Additionally, the two lines are one right after the other (no blank in between), and there is about 3 blank lines under it (but above the All rights reserved line). Also, the copyright symbols © are smaller and appear superscripted.

I don't currently have a scanner as I'm in a temporary location over summer in college, and I have my stuff distributed between this temp location and my parent's house in a city a couple miles away. I can provide a scan if it would be helpful in about a week and a day or so, I think, but I've tried to be as descriptive as possible. All the text is the same, but it appears to be some sort of a stamp, and is definitely lighter and different. I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about this. It really isn't that important, I just bought the book because I wanted it, and I was wondering if anyone had a clue what was up with it.

I just found a first edition copy of Philosophy: Who Needs It? (hardcover)

There are two "states" of the first edition of this title (a not uncommon situation for book collectors to deal with - and, I might add, not uncommon among Ayn Rand first editions either).

You might find this helpful.

http://www.papertig.com/AR_PWNI.htm

Fred Weiss