Objectivism Online Forum

Worms "writing" "music"

Rate this topic

Qwertz

From the aether, this little gem of postmodern aesthetics.

Who needs things like pitch and rhythm and harmony, when worms are the way of the future! Never again will musicians be burdened by creativity!

I'm having difficulty not being sarcastic. It is really quite unfortunate that the word 'music' gets attached to things like this.

-Q

• 3 weeks later...
From the aether, this little gem of postmodern aesthetics.

Who needs things like pitch and rhythm and harmony, when worms are the way of the future! Never again will musicians be burdened by creativity!

I'm having difficulty not being sarcastic. It is really quite unfortunate that the word 'music' gets attached to things like this.

-Q

I don't know. I certainly wouldn't call it music. "Audio art" maybe? My percussion instructor made a piece after recording the sounds his laptop made. I think it's a neat use of naturally made sounds, but it certainly isn't music in the sense of what we traditionally refer to as music.

In order for somthing to be categorized as music it must have some form of a pulse and repetition. Worms just make noise. It's really a shame whats becoming of the music industry these days, nobody bothers making any good pieces of music anymore. Bands come and go as if they're sapose to be disposable and they all sound alike, they all sing about the same subject all play the same chords nobody even bothers to solo anymore or even the slightest bit of improvisation. I question wether even modern day bands write their own music. I find it strikingly similar to how our society is becoming more and more totalitarianistic were our government rewards stupidity and conformity while punishing individualism and innovation. I guess this is what becomes of art when you allow it to be socialized.