Objectivism Online Forum

Tenure: Who needs him?

Rate this topic

It was the last I would wager. She is the sort of person that have read it just in case you asked questions about it (she was not the sort to concede her lie so easily) and I suspect based on what else I heard (and despite what she might have said) that she would have felt obliged to read it merely because you sent it to her. Also it would have futhered her pretense to be interested in your affairs (and therefore whatever her main agenda might have been).

I suspect it was the last, which was actually not reading them by the way. I told her a lot anyway, so she could get a passable fake of having read it. Also I asked if she wanted me to send it so she had the chance to opt out without the obligation you mentioned. However, you knew her better. Also, your last reason is one I am more inclined to agree with. However, faking reading would of also done the trick since I unknowingly gave her the information to be able to do so.

Tenure, I had an ex that called me sexy, but she said that about the wrong things sometimes. As for your ex being a Christian I can understand the problems. I decided well before I knew of Ayn Rand that CHristian beliefs and ethics were highly flawed. As for still having strong feelings, you just need to give it some time. They tend to fade unless the relationship ends in the worst possible way.

I feel the same way about Dwayne's ex as he does, i.e., sad that she wasted her ability. But not about my ex. The same things cannot be said about her. I made several mistakes in choosing her. But at least I learnt a few things from that failed relationship.

Edited by DragonMaci

Oh well, when you guys put it that way, she does have great potential to be a great artist. And come to think of... she's squandering that ability! She's choosing to go to the local Theology College, rather than an Art college. I'm not saying you have to go to Art college to be a good artist, but she actually said herself that learning about God and all that was more important than her art.

I'll give it time and move on. I've got my life to live and I can't waste a second of it trying to carry her by my strength.

Heh, art is one of the things my ex could have made a bit of money out of (sketching and fiction), funny that.

That last sentence was well worded, and kind of what I said to myself at some stage. Though I said something more like: "I have shown her the golden path to a splendid place, if she chooses not to follow I will not try to drag her to a place she does not deserve to see and that she would damn"

Welcome to the forum, Tenure. Blah blah read the rules blah blah before you post. Okay, I've made my required administrative comment. Now it's time to get jiggy with it.

I'm further confounded by the fact that I see very few individuals who value their own self-interest, even fewer who are morally better for it and very, very few who I could say are happy for it (if any). I remember reading Ayn Rand saying that she wrote to tell people that these heroes do exist, and that happiness is possible, but I still remain to be convinced.

"Happy" or "happier"? I'm not totally happy yet, but I'm a lot happier than I was before I found Objectivism and really started taking charge of my own life. I mean, 10 years ago I was nearly suicidal, dropped out of school, got evicted from my apartment, no prospects, no future, nothing . . . and now I've just moved to New York for a very good job, gotten an apartment, getting on with my life . . . it's a good feeling.

If anything, the only fly in my ointment is that I'm a little impatient with the necessary learning/acclimatization process and it's making me grouchy. I just have to be patient and remind myself that I'll get there in time.

If anything, the only fly in my ointment is that I'm a little impatient with the necessary learning/acclimatization process and it's making me grouchy. I just have to be patient and remind myself that I'll get there in time.

I have plenty of patience. When I was young I had to learn to be patient while waiting for the game on my Commodore 64 to load. If anythin gteaches you patience waiting 10 minutes for a Commodore 64 game to load does.

Are you talking about philosophy in general? The fact that although Objectivism seems so simple, there are a ton of nuances that are quite complex to understand, which can get very aggravating (to use the example again - that debate on instinct in humans)? That's how I feel at least.