Objectivism Online Forum

Hello

Rate this topic

Eran, yes, I do have some studying to do. Part of it is that I've been on break for a month now and I have been forgetting a bit of my Hebrew. The other part is that I have only had two semesters of Hebrew and do not yet know the command form of verbs. However, I'm not discouraged. I got the highest grade in both classes, and both classes were full of Jews who knew Hebrew from the Torah and even visits to Israel. So I'm rather certain I'm doing well.

I figured I might be alone in the accent thing. I find a lot of accents cute that others don't. And a lot of people think French and British accents are pretty, but I hate them. The French accent sounds like a series of dry heaves to me, and the British are simply dull. Other accents I don't like are Asian, Costa Rican, and Boston accents. That's pretty much all, though.

FaSheezy, I actually don't agree. I think an accent can be cute all to its own, even if the content of the words are vapid. It's like a painting that is well-done but offers nothing particularly interesting, or a movie that has terrific direction but a lack-luster plot.

Erez, that's actually more people that I had expected, but still not terribly many. I'm rather suprised at the number of Hebrew-speakers on this board, though. For some time I thought I might be the only Rand fan who could speak it at all (with the exception of Yaaron Brook).

I think I've never heard a New-Zealand accent...

Is it similar to Australian accent?

It's closer to Australian (as it obviously would be) than it is to American or various British accents (that I've heard), but they're definitely very distinct. Australian accents do nothing for me.

As far as English language accents go, there's just something about New Zealand accents (at least the women)...

You're nuts. :D

New Zealanders can't pronounce their vowels properly. That is why they say Fush and Chups instead of Fish and Chips.

I quite like South African accents. And French people talking English is sexy. And of course those BBC girls.

Let me tell you about a little game I've developed. It's called 10 Posts After. It starts when a new member introduces himself. After the first introduction post, you try to guess the general subject that will be discussed 10 posts from now.

When you reach the 10th post, you try to guess the general subject 10 posts later, and so on.

Meanwhile, I failed miserably on all rounds. :)

In the theater, it's a good thing. It means a song or a particular scene caused the audience to stop the show with their applause. However, I used it to mean that you stopped the conversation. :) (I wasn't using it in a malicious sense, though.)

Erez, I apologize. I came on this thread to welcome you and I didn't do so. I welcome you now.