Objectivism Online Forum

Display / View options: Can't see all the posts within a thread?

Rate this topic

I've been asked about this a few times, so I thought I'd post a topic.

In this version of the software, a topic/thread can be viewed in various modes. If you look on the right-hand-side of this topic, you'll see a button titled "Options". Click on that to see a menu, and notice the "Display Modes" options at the bottom. Open up a topic that has more posts than this one, and check out those different modes to see if you like any of the non-standard ones.

Often someone clicks on one of these modes inadvertently and the forum starts looking funny. To get back to "normal", choose "standard" mode once again.

post-1227-1227616979_thumb.jpg

Edited by softwareNerd

• 1 year later...

*** Mod's note: Merged with an earlier topic. -sN ***

I don't know if I'm the only one who has seen this, but for the past month or so the posts on the forum have not been displayed in normal forum fashion, but as a list of links to each individual post. The descending posts are ordered by who replies to who.

Is there a way to set it back to the old style of simple, displayed posts?

Edited by softwareNerd
Merged notice

• 4 weeks later...

When I use the 'View New Posts' button and click the little orange icon to show the 'Latest post since I visited the thread' display of the thread, it keeps sending me to some weird form of the thread, in which the first ever post in the thread is shown, followed by hyperlinks to each subsequent post below it, which is almost the opposite of what the little orange icon should be doing.

Does anyone know how to fix this bad boy?

• 1 month later...

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=44326494073&ref=nf

I clicked the link to the forum Mimpy provided in this thread and now I view the threads differently. Instead of just having all the posts in order there is a list/outline "posts in this thread" thing at the bottom. It's bugging the crap out of me. It's their a way to change it back?

Edited by softwareNerd
Merged notice

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=44326494073&ref=nf

I clicked the link to the forum Mimpy provided in this thread and now I view the threads differently. Instead of just having all the posts in order there is a list/outline "posts in this thread" thing at the bottom. It's bugging the crap out of me. It's their a way to change it back?

Yeah, this thread help the problem. Took note of the Options tab up there now too.

You know I still get this problem. I get it whenever I use the search function and I get it when I search for a topic via Google site search sometimes. Sometimes, it just reverts to that randomly, when I manually look through the forum, or hit 'Latest topic in this sub-forum', rather than 'View New Posts'.

I suspect that this setting is stored locally on your PC -- in a browser cookie. I also suspect that viewing pages that are in that mode might set your local setting. Take these two together, and it would explain why viewing pages that are in that mode (e.g. if Google search has stored a URL which has that setting as one of the parms) can cause a switch.

Mammon mentioned it switching after he view some other forum. I don't understand that, because the cookie is stored specifically for the domain.

You know I still get this problem. I get it whenever I use the search function and I get it when I search for a topic via Google site search sometimes. Sometimes, it just reverts to that randomly, when I manually look through the forum, or hit 'Latest topic in this sub-forum', rather than 'View New Posts'.

Well, I do believe you own a Mac.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.