Objectivism Online Forum

Clarification: The report button

Rate this topic

I was under the impression that the report button was for reporting objectionable content or behavior. I used it to report what I thought was objectionable moderating actions on the part of a moderator to the other moderators, but was told that this was a violation of the forum rules to use the button in this way.

I do not wish to discuss whether my specific objection was valid or invalid. I only wish to know whether the report button is or is not to be used in this way. And if it is not to be used in this way, how is an objectionable moderator action to be reported to the moderator team as a whole?

I wish to abide by the forum rules but I must know what they are in order to do that.

Edited by Inspector

And if it is not to be used in this way, how is an objectionable moderator action to be reported to the moderator team as a whole?

It's not necessary to notify the moderator team "as a whole". By the same reasoning that we generally don't share problems with users among other users, problems that need to be addressed about moderators don't necessarily need to be shared with other moderators. Given that moderators are on the same level of "rank", it's unlikely at best that a moderator would even take any formal action against another moderator anyway. Rather, if you have an issue with a particular moderator, you should take up that issue with an admin, who is of higher "rank". If the admin thinks it's necessary to bring the issue to the attention of the rest of the moderators (who will probably already know anyway), there is a mechanism in place for doing that. Of the admins, it should be obvious that GreedyCapitalist is the ultimate authority. The best method for contacting admins is by PM.

It's best not to "shop" for moderators. Generally speaking any disagreement among them is going to be handled internally anyway. However, it's happened in the past that a moderator has done something egregious enough that other moderators did become involved in rebuking that person, privately and publicly, and that person was almost immediately stripped of their moderating ability.

Edited by RationalBiker