Objectivism Online Forum

Sex And Objectivism

Rate this topic

After reading Atlas Shrugged, I'm interested in learning how others understand the sexual encounter between Dagny and John Galt in the train tunnel? I'm also interested in learning how others view the sexual descriptions and relationships in the novel? It seems at times while very passionate, the sex is also somewhat violent.

After reading Atlas Shrugged, I'm interested in learning how others understand the sexual encounter between Dagny and John Galt in the train tunnel? I'm also interested in learning how others view the sexual descriptions and relationships in the novel?

Exciting, dramatic FICTION. Wow!

After reading Atlas Shrugged, I'm interested in learning how others understand the sexual encounter between Dagny and John Galt in the train tunnel? I'm also interested in learning how others view the sexual descriptions and relationships in the novel? It seems at times while very passionate, the sex is also somewhat violent.

I don't know if I would say violent as in harmful but she sure did depict sex in a fiercely intense way. The sex scene between Roark and Dominque had Dominique biting into Roark and if, I'm not mistaken, drawing blood. It also had sort of a "rough-sex" feel to it. I don't think it is correct to interpret this as violent as has been done by many feminists. I think that it was part of Rand's overall view of mind / body integration. Heroic charactes are not repressed during sex, they experience the height of passion in an intensely phyical way.

Other sex scenes of note that I remember are the sex scene in 'The Night of January 16th' where there is another similar "sex at first sight' type of encouter. Dagny and Rearden's encouter is described as being intense as well as Dagny's encounter with Galt on the saddle bags in the tunnels of the Taggart Station. What's amazing about this aside from the life-affirming and pleasure-loving aspects is that this was done in the 40s and 50s. Dagny who is clearly depicted as the heroine slept with three men in the course of the novel. I can only imagine this as being scandelous for that time period. The ferocity of the sex also must have raised quite a stir.