Objectivism Online Forum

Happy Birthday to me!

Rate this topic

Hello everyone!

Since it is my birthday, I brought a cake, and some wine - help yourselves!

post-3106-1180953590_thumb.jpgpost-3106-1180953616_thumb.jpg

For the last year this forum has been a place of fun and challenge for me, a place where I get to interact with some people who share my intellectual honesty, and love for thinking. A place with questions that intrigue me to think, and offer some points to integrate and learn.

It has been a lot of fun, and I feel that it is right to celebrate my birthday here (as well).

So, I wish to congratulate myself! :)

A birthday, for me, is a celebration of my existence, of my life.

It is therefor a time to ponder about the way my life have been, the way I want them to be, and to celebrate everything I like about me and my life.

One thing that comes to my mind is something that is often taught (one of my parents taught me this in some limited form as well): That life is about getting along with imperfections, and adjusting yourself in order to survive.

That one should aim at a job which is stable and safe, to learn to accept a romantic partner that is not perfect, and so forth.

I want to declare today that I utterly reject this view. Although life may be full of obstacles, one should always aim at perfection, one should always aim at a job that brings fulfilment and satisfaction.

No matter the obstacles that I will be facing in the future, and the difficulties within, I hereby promise to myself that this is the attitude towards life that I will stick to.

This may sound religious (though it is not), but what I feel about my own life and about myself is something like being blessed. Blessed with many good things. I hope I will never lose sight of the value of those, and never take them for granted.

All the best to me, etc' etc' -

Ifat.

Happy birthday Ifat! And I hope you have many many more :). I have really enjoyed your contributions for the forum so far, and as you know I a fan of your artwork.

Can we all sing "Happy Birthday" now? :-P

• 3 weeks later...

Being a somewhat casual visitor to this forum for the past few months, I missed the chance to show some local-patriotism for the most prolific writer here of those currently living in Israel.

So: Happy birthday!