Objectivism Online Forum

¿Dónde Está la Bibliotheca, Pedro?

Rate this topic

By Dan Edge from The Edge of Reason,cross-posted by MetaBlog

These immortal words from the movie Dodgeball have taken on a special significance for me recently. I have begun to discover the joy that is the local library.

Let me state at the outset that I do not approve of government funded libraries, just as I do not approve of government funded schools, transit systems, postal service, or medical care. All of these industries should be fully privatized. However, since I am already taxed heavily for these services, I have no qualms about taking advantage of them.

Kelly and I now visit the local library frequently, and we’re having a blast. We never pay money to rent movies any more – the library has more classic, high-quality films than most video rental stores. In the past month, I have checked out the first three Harry Potter books in succession (in preparation for the release of The Deathly Hallows), an informational book for the “Clueless Groom,” a textbook for MBAs focused on entrepreneurship, tape lectures by Peter Lynch and Suzie Orman, and, most recently, a two-tape educational course on intermediate Spanish. (My South American friends will be so surprised when I declare, ¡Yo quiero una jirafa violeta para desayuno!)

Each of these items, whether for education or entertainment, offers a tremendous benefit to my life. As small as my local rural library is, I will never run out of interesting books, movies, and tapes to explore. If you are unfamiliar with your local bibliotheca, I highly recommend paying it a visit. ¡Que Suerte!

--Dan Edge

View the full article

Edited by softwareNerd
Fixed formatting

(My South American friends will be so surprised when I declare, ¡Yo quiero una jirafa violeta para desayuno!)

¡Estoy sorprendido! La pregunta verdadero es "?Porque?".

My local library smells funny, and the range of books, tapes and videos isn't all that great. That said, I did read my first copy of 'Transmetropolitan" there, so it's not all bad. Maybe I could ask them to order in ITOE and some lecture tapes from the ARI.