Objectivism Online Forum

4 Gmail Invitations

Rate this topic

I have 2 Gmail invitations, and will give at least one of them to whomever offers the best “bid” of contributions to this site, whether content, web design, editorial, etc.

Update: in the interest of fairness, I'll wait 24 hours before giving away any invitations to give everyone a chance. Oh, and thanks, Dinesh!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David,

On GmailSwap.com you could get a real Autstralian boomerang for this invitation! Are you sure you're going to just give it away? ;)

I’m not just "giving it away" – I’m looking for the best possible value in exchange for my invitation.

Well, I throw in a bid for 240 points worth of very active posting in a two month period including aesthetic offerings in photography with more to come, and 1 original poem (and a promise never to do that again :D ).

VES

What about my contribution.... sure I am a new member, but I have managed to convice 4 friends to drop religion, and have converted 7 others to be active objectivists, and I live in the Bible Belt...

I feel that is in your interest to give one to me because I will continue to actively support Objectivism even the lincoln douglas debate community (which is very anti-Ojectivism)....

Im putting another gmail invite up for grabs. GreedyCapitalist just PM me who to send it to.

Thanks, banana-eater!

In all seriousness, this is meant to be an incentive for future contributions to the website, not as a reward for forum participation, which presumably requires no incentive on my part.

Thanks for the account GC! I just finished setting it up. Can't wait to see how it works out over time. :lol:

Now, you didn't answer my question in pm. And I don't think it will hurt to publish it here instead. Have you used the service yet? How do you like it so far? Any major pros or cons that you see to date?

Have you used the service yet?  How do you like it so far? Any major pros or cons that you see to date?

Yes, I’ve been using it a bit. Here are some pros and cons:

Pros:

1 GB of space!

Totally and instantly searchable email.

Direct, straightforward interface

It’s fast! (vs. hotmail and the like)

Your account isn’t “deleted within 30 days” if you don’t use it, as with hotmail.

The spam filter is probably decent, though I have not had an occasion to test it.

Emails are readable in a discussion-tread style view.

Allows huge attachments (10MB, I think)

1 GB of space!

Stuff that’s missing:

Support for MIME encoding (HTML email support) – it can’t even fwd it properly, so the email may be lost.

Rich-text editing (not that I use it anyway)

Missing advanced options and features that Hotmail and Yahoo have. (But has novel new ones they don’t)

Desktop notification or integration with MS Outlook

Ability to export mail to MS Outlook

Support for forwarding to my rationalmind.net account

I would really like to see an RSS-like web-service interface for remotely checking for new email

GC gave a very complete list. Add to that the fact that the service does not support languages other than English, and you have a good idea of the limitations.

Another innovative technology is the replacement of folders with "labels", so that a message can be sorted to two or more different categories without being duplicated.

Well, I have not much more that I can think to offer at this point other than photography. In my budding newness to Objectivism, it will take me some time to actually know what else is worthwhile to contribute. I'll take it that that's not enough, and just continue enjoying the forums.

Thanks anyway!

VES

Yes, I’ve been using it a bit.  Here are some pros and cons:

Pros:

1 GB of space!

Totally and instantly searchable email.

Direct, straightforward interface

It’s fast!  (vs. hotmail and the like)

Your account isn’t “deleted within 30 days” if you don’t use it, as with hotmail.

The spam filter is probably decent, though I have not had an occasion to test it.

Emails are readable in a discussion-tread style view.

Allows huge attachments (10MB, I think)

1 GB of space!

Stuff that’s missing:

Support for MIME encoding (HTML email support) – it can’t even fwd it properly, so the email may be lost.

Rich-text editing (not that I use it anyway)

Missing advanced options and features that Hotmail and Yahoo have.  (But has novel new ones they don’t)

Desktop notification or integration with MS Outlook

Ability to export mail to MS Outlook

Support for forwarding to my rationalmind.net account

I would really like to see an RSS-like web-service interface for remotely checking for new email

Remember though that Gmail is still in it's testing periods. I think there is a good chance that more additions will be added to the final product. Which shows how much potentiality it has even at the alpha/beta level.

not many in the race.......

i will grab the opportunity........

my bidding is based on the contributions i am soon going to make to the aesthetics forum....some original ideas of mine.......

well, to make a stronger case ,i will divulge some details---i will present you all an artform that i have created and its relation to me being a student of objectivism.

also an active participation ,mainly asking questions, is all i can promise for now......