Objectivism Online Forum

Hi , Rana Here

Rate this topic

hi....rana here,

i am abhishek singh rana .....among our peers to be on last name basis is considered as a hint of closeness.

the story of my introduction to objectivism is an ironically unusual one. the guy who suggested A.S. to me is a kabadiwala.......a kabadiwala is a guy who purchases old newspapers and sells these to paper mills for recycling, he keeps the chance books and sells these at low prices.

this kabadiwala freind of mine also keeps the pirated versions of certain popular novels. so it was reading from a pirated A.S. that i learned the basics of objectivism. i should mention here that i have already made amends for this 'theft' of mine.

the other day someone was asking Omkar Ghate on whether objectivism is getting popular in india (or something to that effect) ......the fact that they have started pirating A.S. at least means that a lot are bring introduced to it.

Pirated versions of AS and most other Rand fiction has been sold in India as early as the 1980's. Small-town railway stations (e.g. Muzzafarnagar) will usually have a "Wheelers" book stall. It is not surprizing to see "Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology" being sold (legitimate, not pirated versions).

India has a large English-literate population. Rand's books are not the only ones to benefit from this. Lots of Indians can talk fluiently about Sartre, Kant, Marx, Kafka... you name it.

eran,satsriakal is a salutation.

i had an inkling that 'satsriakal' has got something to do with god,though wasnt sure of it........ i dont have many sikh freinds ;)

btw none of my ancestors was a warrior(to my knowledge) :P

hey oaktree your knowledge of india is impressive .........but my conclusions were based on my experience with the kabadiwala freind of mine........because he doesnt keep many pirated books(only the more popular ones)......

Warning, this is off-topic.

Once or twice when I have told someone I am Indian, they thought I meant "American Indian".

I don't like the terms "American Indian" and "Red Indian" because they institutionalize a historic error (though that does make them cute).

I find "Native American" to be far, far worse because I think it is used by some(incorrectly and politcally) to imply "True American". This usurps the term "American".

After thinking about it, I decided that whenever I think about it to myself, and whenever I can get away with it in public, I will use the term "aboriginee". In some ways, it means "native", but I think there are some connotations of tribalism and backwardness that it evoke that really annoy the aboriginees of the western hemisphere.

I agree with your assessment of "native American". I am a native American, born and bred in this country.

I think aborigine is the correct term, but the term "Indian" is the common one used. The Indians never called themselves that, of course. It was the term coined by the Europeans because they originally thought they were in Asia. It's how all those islands became the West Indies.

Most American Indians are still very tribal. The policies the government instituted after the Indian Wars has kept them tribal and backwards. Not all of them, of course. There are several tribes which assimilated. I am part Cherokee, as are many Americans, because a large number of Cherokees assimilated rather quickly into American life. I may be wrong, but I think the Cherokees were the only tribe to have an alphabet and a written history. They were a settled, agrarian people, for the most part, unlike other hunter-gatherer tribes.

Edited by oldsalt

Rana - Just out of curiosity, how did you make amends for your "theft"?

And, on another note, I was surprised to discover that Ayn Rand indeed has a following in India. When I was back in India, one of my friends told me about some kind of local Objectivist Club which he once contacted for a clarification about objectivism. Apparently, he asked them what would stop a criminal from thinking that murdering others was in his self-interest and that he was therefore morally justified in committing murder. The club came back to him with this concise response which said everything - "Where force begins, morality ends!". I intend to contact the club and maybe join it when I go back to India.

Rana - Just out of curiosity, how did you make amends for your "theft"?
i dumped that book and bought a legitimate A.S. ........

I intend to contact the club and maybe join it when I go back to India.

i too would like to be a part of such a club ;)

If you are in the US right now, there are Objectivist Campus Clubs promoted by the ARI present in many universities around the country. You could try joining the one closest to you. I personally am trying to get into the objectivist club of the University of Minnesota which is a 10 minute bus from my workplace, but haven't been able to contact them - I think it's summer vacation time for them.

If you are in India, I don't really know of any way of locating Objectivist Clubs close to where you live. The reason I don't care to know right now is because I am not yet in India, but I do intend to find out if my return seems imminent.

Re: Indian objectivists: individuals and clubs.

While Tara malkani was alive, she was like a clearing house for information on Indian Objectivists. I do not think anyone has replaced her role. There are individual objectivists in most of the bigger cities. As for clubs, I cannot say for certain, since it has been many years since I left. We used to have quite a few clubs about 10 years ago. While many of the members are now in the US, it would be reasonable to assume that many of the newer Indian objectivists have formed clubs.

If you are interested in a particular city, I'll make inquiries. (Infosys...would that be Bangalore?)

Meanwhile, two good places to start your search:

1) ARI: They used to send Tara lists of people from India writing in for info. They may likely still have the best info on coordinated efforts. [i know that a Fountainhead essay contest was held in Bombay a few years ago, and one was held in Delhi the last couple of years. If Bombay or Delhi interest you, I can find out more details.]

2) The "Celebrate Capitalism March (Prodos et al) had a couple of Indian contingents (Delhi and Bombay). Check http://www.celebratecapitalism.org/cities/index.html