Objectivism Online Forum

Your Summer Diversions

Rate this topic

Let's see, summer activities...

Organizing & playing Ultimate Frisbee every Sunday afternoon and Tuesday evening

Reading: Harry Potter series (well, rereading that one), VOS, Discarded Science by John Grant (very interesting book by the way, I highly recommend it), and OPAR when I'm done with one of the above

Two summer jobs (web design and robotics high school camp counselor) which I tend to stay late at

Planning a web jewelry design business & hopefully soon actually getting it running (It's going very slowly, though)

Spending weekends with my boyfriend

And I'm in the very early stages of writing a book. (This is going even slower than my jewelry business. Ah well... it's going, at least.)

Yeah, not much time left for the forum. I read new topics during my lunch hour at work, and that's about all I have time for. I'm sure I'll be posting quite a bit when I'm done with OPAR and VOS, though.

Let's see, summer activities...

Organizing & playing Ultimate Frisbee every Sunday afternoon and Tuesday evening

Reading: Harry Potter series (well, rereading that one), VOS, Discarded Science by John Grant (very interesting book by the way, I highly recommend it), and OPAR when I'm done with one of the above

Two summer jobs (web design and robotics high school camp counselor) which I tend to stay late at

Planning a web jewelry design business & hopefully soon actually getting it running (It's going very slowly, though)

Spending weekends with my boyfriend

And I'm in the very early stages of writing a book. (This is going even slower than my jewelry business. Ah well... it's going, at least.)

hmmm. Yes, that seems like just enough. :P

So, that's where you've been! I thought you disappeared.
Yes, you can call me Gyges. : P

Hope the new apartment is going well. After Cantonese, go for Mandarin. Far more people speak it.

Yes, it's going quite well, thanks.. One fortunate thing about the way the complex is laid out is that the gym is right by the computer lab.. So when I want to come use the computer.. inevitably it will be full and I'll have to wait for someone to finish using a computer, which is a good time to work out for a bit; otherwise I'll bring a book.

I forgot to mention another book I've been reading.. The Psychology of Romantic Love by Nathaniel Branden. Has anyone here read it? It's actually pretty good so far. I really want to get Ellen Kenner's lectures on romance, though.. Maybe when the holliday season gets here and I hopefully have some extra money.

I just bought a new gadget.. A Lexicon multieffects processor for my guitar. It's basically something that will make my music sound really cool, but it was very expensive and it's pretty complicated to figure out! So I have a feeling a significant amount of my free time is gonna go to that now.. I've also been practicing flamenco strumming styles on the guitar. I've been trying to put together a band to play live shows, but people keep flaking out.

Actually, I would like to learn Mandarin, too. I bought the book on tape for Cantonese a while back when I was interested in visiting Hong Kong. I have some friends who speak Mandarin though.. also, there are quite a few people in Houston who speak Vietnamese.

I didn't know Xiamen had its own language... Wikipedia says it's most similar to Taiwanese, but I thought they spoke Mandarin in Taiwan.. I guess not.. hmmm...

I didn't know Xiamen had its own language... Wikipedia says it's most similar to Taiwanese, but I thought they spoke Mandarin in Taiwan.
Taiwanese is an externally little-known secret. I think most native Taiwanese speak both though I would not be surprised to learn that city kids only use Mandarin and Taiwanese was banned by the Kuomintang in the past, but I hear that it's being used in more contexts like broadcasting, rallies etc. It's prolly lack tockin' Texan, and about as hard for others to understand :P

Taiwanese is an externally little-known secret. I think most native Taiwanese speak both though I would not be surprised to learn that city kids only use Mandarin and Taiwanese was banned by the Kuomintang in the past, but I hear that it's being used in more contexts like broadcasting, rallies etc. It's prolly lack tockin' Texan, and about as hard for others to understand :P

Mostly correct. Taiwanese is extremely common nowadays and widely used in things like popular music or television. Mostly the only people that do not speak Taiwanese at all (most city kids, myself included, can understand it perfectly but speak it awkwardly) are usually kids brought up by families that moved to Taiwan post World War II with the KMT or are Taiwanese aboriginies.

I really want to get Ellen Kenner's lectures on romance, though.

I attended the 3rd(?) installment on Sex and Romance at OCON last year. Very highly recommended.

It's prolly lack tockin' Texan, and about as hard for others to understand ;)

C'mon now, I'm a native Texan and even I had to read that a few times to figure it out! :P