Objectivism Online Forum

Live Free or Die Hard

Rate this topic

I really liked the first Die Hard, can't remember the second one, but the third one was so riddled with gratuitous cursing that I could barely follow a conversation, much less the plot. My husband, who spent 5 years in the Army, doesn't even curse that much, and he curses quite a bit. I do my fair share of cursing, being a native Texan, but jeez...it was ridiculous. I haven't considered seeing this fourth installment. Is it better than the third? I tend to like Bruce Willis flicks, although I'm not sure why.

It doesn't come out here for another week or so. I am so going to see it. Die Hard 1 is, I feel, one of the greatest films ever made. It's not of, let's say, the same caliber as a film like 'A Gentleman's Agreement' or some such film, but it's great in so many ways. It's got no great philosophical message, but it's not fluff either. It is, like King said, a film with real heroes and real villains.

That, and Bruce Willis is the master of the disgruntled-cop character.

I'm going to go see 4.0 with a white t-shirt with "I have a machinegun now! HO HO HO!" written on the front in red pen. It shall be glorious.

I'm going to go see 4.0 with a white t-shirt with "I have a machinegun now! HO HO HO!" written on the front in red pen. It shall be glorious.

Awesome image in my head! :dough:

Well, Willis said they put a lot of work into making it really good in spite of the rating. I'm hoping it'll be kind of like how Seuss produced a great book with only 200 words; a Die Hard film with only 1 swear word. :thumbsup:

I really enjoyed the movie, and I often get bored with action scenes that run too long. I had to unsuspend my disbelief several times, but it was still really fun despite all that. I actually got nervous for the protagonists - during the non-action scenes. The movie wasn't flawless, but it was a movie with (as far as I know) a new premise and an old salt that I have come to love.

Having not seen the original three, I went to see this based on the generally positive reviews.

It was good! I recommend it for 1) Bruce Willis. His character is really entertaining, and 2) The action sequences. The rest is an OK backdrop for those two (although the villains are dumb and their plans are pretty sad, with really obvious flaws). At one point I started laughing not at the quality of the movie but at the sheer absurdity of one of the action sequences! The Mac guy was funny, too.

Anyway, worth four bucks.

I'll definitely be going to see it when it arrives in England as my wife and I both loved the first three.

Mind you, I think Bruce Willis is the one person she'd be tempted to swap me for so I'll keep an eye on her when he's on-screen :P

She almost refused to watch his earlier film, Hostage, just because he has hair and a beard at the start of it, but she persevered and was delighted when he went back to his smooth, shaven look :P

The movie was a lot of fun to watch but be aware it has some really annoying parts that knocked me out of enjoyment for a few minutes.

Mainly there are short moments from the movie that annoyed me as hell. These two moments are when it tries to delve into philosophy - it tries to explain how one chooses or becomes a hero. It fails. ;)

The explanation given is "when there is nobody else to do the job but you, and you do the job, you become the hero."

Now, to put it into prospective how crappy this meaning really is, I will describe what it was applied to.

(SMALL SPOILER AHEAD)

At the end of the movie a kid saves the cop (who saved kid's life many times AND kid is looking up to this cop now for many good virtues [courage, etc., etc.]) and cop's daughter (whom he is starting to like). The cop asks the kid for the reason behind his risky actions. The kid blinks a few times, tries to think or introspect the reason for his actions, fails, looks down, and mumbles: "where was nobody else around to do it." ( :P ) The cop happily picks it up: "That's what makes you a hero."

No, it makes a dumbbutt. :);)

The reason to risk to save those people was the value they had for him. But no! Apparently, being a hero isn't about selfish stuff like that. It's about "getting the job done". And apparently it implies that there is no difference in risking your life for complete strangers and people of very high value to you

(OK, done trashing the movie.)

Overall, however, the movie was great despite above bumps.

I didn't see it that same way Olex. It seemed to me to be more about the importance of courage and Willis's character's frustration with the lack of it in today's society. I thought the message was that many people today (or perhaps always) are unwilling to do what is right. Heroes are the one's who take a stand against evil and protect values. I could just be projecting though....

I think there might be a support group for your type of people Geisha Addictions Anonymous, or something like that?

Actually I fell in love with some Asian doctor from some tv show my mother was a fan of, she was so couragous and beautiful.

Haven't gotten those of my mind yet, but mind you that those features are only one criterion of two.

I just went to see it, and I liked it. Wow, an action movie that isn't just a big melodrama! Yay!

Unfortunately no one aspect of the movie was really outstanding. It was as though ever important piece was there, and each piece was well-done, but there was no one thing that really grabbed the attention and wouldn't let go.

That being said, I really liked the young hacker guy (Max Farrell? Is it bad that I only got out of the movie 2 hours ago and I already can't remember the name of his character? Bleh. I have to see names written down before I can remember them. Anyway.). He was like a Keanu Reeves That Can Actually Act. I was kind of annoyed that McClane was so grouchy towards him at the end.

Edited by JMeganSnow