Objectivism Online Forum

He said it was going to happen soon...

Rate this topic

Well, if you've read my postsings in the 'Psychology/Self Improvement' section, then you know me, I'm not an incredibly... mentally stable person. The past week or so has been a rather unstable time, and yesterday especially. I still feel really bad that I just couldn't enjoy my birthday, and I just felt so miserable. My mum actually put, "Happy Fucking Birthday To You!" on the cake, because... I dunno, I've just been so down recently.

I've got a terribly strong BUP (and BPP, as Dan puts it, to boot), but I've still got a spark of hope. I've got my girlfriend who's there for me (although, physically speaking, she's in Barcelona at the moment) and I got my Objectivism CD-ROM today, so the days I spend wasting away in my room can be accompanied by OPAR, ITOE and all manner of Randian-writings (alliteralicious).

I've got to say, I did get one marvellous present though. If you look at the photo of me in my profile here, well... my mum took that photo last week, I didn't know why. But I liked it and put it on my computer. You know what I found out yesterday? I'm opening this flat, rectangular present - I open it, and there's a cartoon of me, done by Martin Rowson. He's a friend of the family, the dad of my best friend. We've got this kind of friendly rivalry thing and I was just absolutely stoked when I saw this cartoon. It's spot on, it perfectly captures me in a wonderfully... burlesque manner.

I hope I get over this though, I really do. It was my 18th birthday, one of the most significant birthday's in your life, and it was an utter waste - I just spent it like I've spent most of the rest of my life. I'm gonna go get breakfast. :dough:

I hope I get over this though, I really do. It was my 18th birthday, one of the most significant birthday's in your life, and it was an utter waste - I just spent it like I've spent most of the rest of my life. I'm gonna go get breakfast. :)

Ah, but you've learned one of the important things about growing up: significant moments don't happen when you're expecting them. The really big, life-changing stuff often happens as a result of a moment's contemplation and a quick, "hey, this sounds cool!" Next thing you know you're snowboarding down a mountain with a bomb strapped to your back. No, wait, that's an RPG. But similar things happen in real life, they just aren't quite so . . . EXTREME.

I'm still pretty happy if people remember my birthday, but I'd kind of prefer that they stop sending me presents. I appreciate the gifts but I'm so bad about remembering to write thank-you notes it has become a family joke. That and I only remember anyone else's birthday about once a year, if that.

So don't worry about the funk, just remember to go celebrate when you actually feel good!

P.S. you SO look like my brother Benjamin in that photo.

Edited by JMeganSnow

Tenure, are you chat-cheating on me? :o
Nobody told you! The last time I was in chat, I noted a lot of romantic fruit and vegetable metaphor (I forget the specifics, but replace "my honey dew" with a British fruit and you'll be close!).

And to think he wasn't even 18 yet. Tut, tut! :)

So are you going to post the cartoon so we can see it? And your mom's message on your cake is cracking me up. Sounds like something I would do. :)

And JMeganSnow is right. The days that are supposed to be so significant are always the biggest let downs. Just like prom. (Such a stupid affair, not sure why I even went.)

Jen, you're fired! :)
Again?!
(I forget the specifics, but replace "my honey dew" with a British fruit and you'll be close!).
What, like, Isaac Newton? He's the only British fruit I can think of off the top of my head.

Don't worry, Jen, they can't hold us back from each other. Put your make up on, fix your hair up pretty, and meet me tonight, in Atlantic City! Or failing that, the chatroom.

Edited by Tenure

• 2 weeks later...

Better late than never...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!

:nuke: :nuke: :D:lol::sorcerer::nuke: :nuke:

I wish you to rock the world this year. Let no obstacle stand in your way to happiness, and may all your endaevours be successful. Best of luck!