Objectivism Online Forum
  • °

Objectivism Is The Everyman's Philosophy

In the universe, what you see is what you get,

figuring it out for yourself is the way to happiness,

and each person's independence is respected by all

• Rand's Philosophy in Her Own Words

• "Metaphysics: Objective Reality"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed/Wishing won’t make it so." "The universe exists independent of consciousness"
    • "Epistemology: Reason" "You can’t eat your cake and have it, too." "Thinking is man’s only basic virtue"
    • "Ethics: Self-interest" "Man is an end in himself." "Man must act for his own rational self-interest" "The purpose of morality is to teach you[...] to enjoy yourself and live"
    • "Politics: Capitalism" "Give me liberty or give me death." "If life on earth is [a man's] purpose, he has a right to live as a rational being"
  • Objectivism Online Chat

Determinism as presented by Dr. Robert Sapolsky

Solvreven
    By Solvreven,
    Hi, I'm curious about you're arguments against Robert Sapolsky's "idea of Determinism". I think he has made the strongest case there ever has been for determinism, I myself do not agree with him, as I think he starts at the wrong level. For those not familiar with his works, here's an introduction:   

Selfish Christians Citing Ayn Rand

monart
    By monart,
    Christians are many, Objectivists are few. But a very few Christians are friendly to Ayn Rand, studying and citing her work, along with Peikoff's. Are they the better or the worse Christians? Are they to be scoffed away as deluded walking contradictions and exploitive hypocrites, or be regarded with some serious respect and be shown how to go all the way?   Selfish Christians Citing Ayn Rand Apparently, not all Christians are altruistic. There are the very few who advocate rationa

About the Russian aggression of Ukraine

AlexL
    By AlexL,
    An analysis of John Mearsheimer's position, which is: "it is not Putin but the West, especially the U.S., that’s principally responsible for this disaster. The Ukraine Crisis Is the West’s Fault.” The analysis continues:   Read here the full analysis.

Reblogged:'Globalism' Is Now an Alt-Right Smear

Gus Van Horn blog
    By Gus Van Horn blog,
    Defending Ukraine against Russia is not automagically the same thing as being in league with Klauss Schwab and the WEF. *** Today's GOP is not only not your father's GOP, it's much closer to his Democratic Party, with the lone exception being its full embrace of your great-grandfather's Christian prudery. Today alone, we have the increasingly nutty Issues and Insights -- within recent memory a redoubt of relative sanity on the right -- hawking pacifist Tulsi Gabbard as Vice-Presidential mater

Reblogged:Coward Maduro Bans 80-Year-Old Opponent

Gus Van Horn blog
    By Gus Van Horn blog,
    If Venezuela's Chavista regime held actual elections, they would probably lose the next one, according to a recent Wall Street Journal profile of Corina Yoris, the 80-year old grandmother whose 10-party coalition carefully vetted her and applied for her to run as their standard-bearer against Nicolás Maduro, the leftist dictator of Venezuela. This they did after their previous candidate, Maria Corina Machado, was blocked from running:The candidate, unlike the two incoherent old men running for

"You Can Leave Your Hat On"

Boydstun
    By Boydstun,
    That song by Randy Newman includes the line “You give me reason to live.” As the reader knows, the song is the expression of one in the throes of a sexual romance.  Ayn Rand writes “My morality, the morality of reason, is contained on a single axiom: existence exists—and in a single choice: to live” (AS 1018). The moral is correct value that is chosen and understood, in Rand’s view. Animal consciousness has the function of preserving life of that sort of animal. For humans the feature

Proof of Aperiodic Tiling of Infinite Plane Has Been Accomplished

Boydstun
    By Boydstun,
    Proof of Aperiodic MonoTile Has Been Accomplished

Reblogged:Four Years Since "15 Days" Flattened Freedom

Gus Van Horn blog
    By Gus Van Horn blog,
    John Stossel reminds us of the government's inappropriate, authoritarian response to the Covid pandemic:I recall being much more worried about what the government might do than about the illness itself at the start of the pandemic. I was right to be concerned, and Stossel is right to remind us of those dark days. But I would continue just about where he left off when he reminds us that Sweden, which had one of the more sane pandemic responses, did not go on to become the object lesson so many

New Quantum Experiments

Boydstun
    By Boydstun,
    Test of Stochastic Collapse-of-the-Wave-Function Models Probing the Quantum Interface with the Classical and How the Q-Regime yields the C-Regime Quantum Optomechanics with Photonic Crystals

How To Be Happy

KyaryPamyu
    By KyaryPamyu,
    Schopenhauer was a big influence on Nietzsche, and Rand liked Nietzsche more than just a little. "His 'Thus Spake Zarathustra' is my Bible.  I can never commit suicide while I have it.", wrote Rand, answering a questionnaire, circa 1935[1]. By way of spiritual lineage, could it be that some of Schopenhauer's ethos inadvertently found its way into Objectivism? Well, probably not, but I'm getting paranoid! It's time for a trip down philosophical hall of fame. Like many philosophers of his era

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS