Objectivism Online Forum

Introduction

Rate this topic

I have seen the Atlas Shrugged trilogy. I have read her book on the virtue of selfishness but had some trouble understanding it due to my dyslexia. now looking and the ARI campus and trying to take the free classes. I am interested in her philosophy. I posted another question to the form asking if it was possible to be both an objectivist and a buddhist at the same time?

People like myself who appreciate religious philosophy will find similarities within objectivism, but her philosophy is specifically anti-religion.  It's difficult to integrate ideas from both sources.  I recommend having a look at Philosophy: Who Needs It? which provides some good points on how to approach comparing different philosophies.  Of course Buddha offered some good tips too,,, 

Inquirer:  Fixed in their own pet beliefs, these diverse wranglers bawl, hold to this and truth is yours, reject it and you're lost.  Thus they contend and dub opponents fools and dolts. Which of the lot is right, when all as experts post?

Buddha:  If dissent denotes a fool and stupid dolt, then all are fools and dolts since each has his own view.  Or if each rival creed proves lore and brains and wit, then no dolts exist since all alike are on a par.  I count not that as true which those affirm who call each other fools.  They call each other so because each deems his own view truth.

That was from memory, so I may have missed a word or two.  I've been interested in comparative philosophies for most of my life, and you might say was led to Objectivism by predecessors like Buddha and Aquinas.  Do a little research on "the three As,"

Welcome to this forum David.

Edited by Devil's Advocate