Objectivism Online Forum

(On The Definition of Thought)- An Excerpt From "An Epistle To Dr.

Rate this topic

To the extent that those ideas become manifest by your actions... yes.

But the ideas themselves and how you come to accept them... no.

I couldn't care less why a person does good... because it is only our actions which make the world what it is, not our ideas.

You make it sound as if the actions of human beings can occur independant or separately of the ideas we hold. You will find, if you stick around long enough, and are intellectually honest enough to explore this region of O'ism, that this is one area that sets O'ism apart from almost every other "world view" out there.

You make it sound as if the actions of human beings can occur independant or separately of the ideas we hold.

If it sounded that way to you, then I obviously wasn't clear enough so I'll try to do better.

My point is that the same moral action can arise from many different ideas. This is why I am more interested in what people actually do, than in why they do it. The "why" is their own personal business, not mine. However, the "what" directly affects the world.

I suppose you really mean its for the best that you just leave your pronoucements undefended.

Yes.

If you want to argue you are free to critique anything I say. When no agreement is possible, it's better for each to simply state their own view and how it differs from the other.

If it sounded that way to you, then I obviously wasn't clear enough so I'll try to do better.

My point is that the same moral action can arise from many different ideas. This is why I am more interested in what people actually do, than in why they do it. The "why" is their own personal business, not mine. However, the "what" directly affects the world.

And judging from your response, my inquiry was unclear as well.

I'm was trying to ask if you evaluate the ideas which you personally hold, and how you personally arrive at them as an issues of morality,

And judging from your response, my inquiry was unclear as well.

I'm was trying to ask if you evaluate the ideas which you personally hold, and how you personally arrive at them as an issues of morality,

Yes.

Real world consequences are the final judge who evaluates the validity of the ideas upon which I act... and it is never wrong.