Objectivism Online Forum

3 Columbus churches vandalized with graffiti

Rate this topic

dream_weaver

WTHR Channel 13

3 Columbus churches vandalized with graffiti overnight

The feature showed, in addition to "Infidels!" two different Qur'an verses spray painted: 19:88 And they say, "The Most Merciful has taken [for Himself] a son." as well as 3:151 We will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve for what they have associated with Allah of which He had not sent down [any] authority. And their refuge will be the Fire, and wretched is the residence of the wrongdoers.

Father Marcote of Saint Bartholomew's Catholic Church asks: “Is this some sort of nasty prank? Is this someone that's trying to incite people against Muslims? I mean I don't know,” he added.

Something I can't quite put my finger on here, doesn't add up.

According to that blog, the Columbus, Ind. incidents appear to be unusual.

Father Marcote hits the nail on the head wondering if someone is trying to incite people against Muslims with this episode.

Another blog, dear Ephesus notes the irregularity of using Qur'an rather than Sura Ali Imran 3:151 and Sura Maryam 19:88 (with or without the word Sura),

As to adding up, I went to add this link 3 times yesterday - each time stopping because I couldn't identify what it was that was off.

Disturbing would be the term I was looking for. Most of the incidents from Lisa Graas Church Vandalism blog break windows, set fires, spray paint graffiti or religious slurs in the course of lashing out. This/these miscreant(s) stage this stunt with total disregard for the serious nature of what it could lead to. 

A search on "meaning of Maryam 19:88" provides a few that allude to this more explicit hermeneutic.

(Jesus in the Quran)

The rejection of the very idea of God having a son is restated later in the same chapter with even stronger words: "And they say, The All-merciful has taken unto Himself a son. You have indeed advanced something hideous. As if the skies are about to burst, the earth to split asunder and its mountain to fall down in the utter ruin for that they have attributed to the All-merciful a son; and behaves not the All-merciful to take a son. None there in the heavens and earth but comes to the All-merciful as a servant" (Maryam 19:88-93)

The Quran recognizes the fact that Jesus had no human father, but this does not make him the son of God, or God himself. By this criterion, Adam would have been more entitled more entitled to be the son of God, because he had neither a father nor a mother, so the Quran draws attention to the miraculous creation of both in the following verses; " truly the likeness of Jesus, in God's sight is as Adam's likeness; He created him of dust, then He said upon him, 'Be' and hi was. (Al-Imran 3:59)

The Quran rejects the concept of Trinity God the Father, God the son, God the Holy Spirit - as strongly as it rejects the concept of Jesus as the son of God. This is because GOD IS ONE. Three cannot be one. The Quran addresses Christians in the following verses from the Surrah entitled "An-Nisaa" (The Women)

Compare with Maryam 19:88-92

19:88 And they say, "The Most Merciful has taken [for Himself] a son."
19:89 You have done an atrocious thing.
19:90 The heavens almost rupture therefrom and the earth splits open and the mountains collapse in devastation
19:91 That they attribute to the Most Merciful a son.
19:92 And it is not appropriate for the Most Merciful that He should take a son.

Like Mohammed, many early Christian teachers did not agree with the trinity. The early church was wrought with controversy about the trinity. It took a few centuries before the controversy was settled and the non-trinitarians branded as heretics.

Edited by softwareNerd

Good question, Nicky.

In the quoted post, I referenced the dear ephesus blog for one reason why it does not seem plausible. If the proper reference is not Qur'an chapter verse, it alludes to someone not familiar. with the proper structure. I'll be watching for new developments, but unless they catch the culprit(s), or more similar incidences occur, this is a story likely to fade into the black hole.

I should add, preface "Father Marcote hits the nail on the head", with "I think Father Marcote hits the nail on the head", as it is not an undisputable fact at this time.

Edited by dream_weaver

Additionally, a search for a Muslim mosque or place of gathering in the area turned up one small former Reformed Presbyterian Church - indicating that a rather small footprint of folk there that are practitioners. Contrast that with places like Dearborn, Mi. and Hamtramck, Mi. which have a larger demographic without similar incident.

Edited by dream_weaver

Good question, Nicky.

In the quoted post, I referenced the dear ephesus blog for one reason why it does not seem plausible. If the proper reference is not Qur'an chapter verse, it alludes to someone not familiar. with the proper structure.

I looked at that blog post. It's either a transparent attempt at rationalization, or someone posing as an expert when they're not. The Koran isn't made up of books, chapters and verses, like the Bible, it is made up of chapters and verses alone. There is no need to specify both the name and number of a chapter.

All the blog post author needed to do is a quick google search to figure out that plenty of Muslims cite the Koran by chapter number and verse alone. Same goes for everyone who takes some Christian blogger at their word that they're an expert on Arab culture. Even if there is some kind of pedantic rule that says how the Koran should be cited, it's pretty obvious that most people don't follow it. That's usually the case with those types of rules, in every language and culture.

P.S. Can these obviously Muslim vandals please stop with the silly apostrophes? If you're too lazy to learn Arabic (the way your religion requires you to) and write the Arabic word properly, like so: القرآن, then just write English. There are no apostrophes in the middle of words in English. It's either Quran or Koran.

Edited by Nicky

Can these obviously Muslim vandals please stop with the silly apostrophes? If you're too lazy to learn Arabic (the way your religion requires you to) and write the Arabic word properly, like so: القرآن, then just write English. There are no apostrophes in the middle of words in English. It's either Quran or Koran.

That's interesting. . .