Objectivism Online Forum

Changes for Objectivism Online!

Rate this topic

Hello, Objectivism Online Members!

As you can see, some changes have been implemented to our forum-dedicated-to-reason that you know and love. Most obviously, the forum has a new visual theme. The basic setup is pretty simple. The different areas of OO.com can all be found via the sidebar on the left, including your messages, notifications, and profile. One not-so-obvious element is your ability to change the forum background photo. That option is found by clicking the little paintbrush icon on the upper-right, next to the Facebook and Twitter links. OO.com will remember your choice for each time you visit. We’ll keep the old theme as an option for now (click “Change Theme” at the bottom of each page), and of course there is still the mobile theme for when you visit the forum on your phone.

The second obvious change is our moving the ObjectivismOnline.com homepage into the forum itself. In the new homepage, you’ll see some of the elements of the old OO.com homepage, like links to the Objectivism Wiki and the Random Quote generator, in addition to forum updates and stats. In the future, different kinds of content will be added to this area (see below), so keep an eye out.

We have a new chat! It’s updated in both looks and performance — lag time and blips should no longer be an issue. Since it's hosted outside of the forum, less drain on the forum server could see better performance overall, too. The chat's found in the navigation menu on the left. You can see who’s chatting two ways: hover your mouse pointer over “Chat” by the red numbered icon in the navigation menu, or look at the bottom of the new forum homepage, where there is also a list of the members currently visiting the forum.

We’ve also joined Twitter. You can follow us via the link on the top right, or the link in the navigation menu. And of course, we’re still updating our Facebook page with forum threads of interest. Have a Facebook or Twitter-using friend who might be interested in content from the forum? Tell them to like and follow!

Finally, Objectivism Online now reblogs daily on Tumblr, which appears mirrored on our new homepage. Check out the growing archive any time, or just catch the latest post here every day!

Please, tell us what you think, and share any ideas you’ve got for future changes.

— The Objectivism Online Moderating Team

It still comes into the forum as individual threads, if you mean the re-blogged content. Here is the sub-forum.

The only other content from the old homepage were the Objectivism Wiki and the lists of links. The links needed updated badly, so that is something else we'll be working on in the near-future. (The "keep an eye out" part I mentioned above!) The Wiki is featured in the new homepage area, and it is also linked to the left in the navigation menu.

Edited by JASKN

Yes, that was the one issue with that background. I liked that particular image of the Statue of Liberty enough that I decided to use it anyway -- at least until someone complained! I'll look for another one soon I guess.

In the meantime, as I mentioned in the first post, there are several background images to choose from, which become your default until you select a different one. Look at the top of the forum next to "View New Content," and click that little paintbrush icon. The other images shouldn't conflict with any other elements or text.

You said "some issues"... Is there something else?

Edit: I may be able to change that text color instead, to something darker or not see-through.

Edited by JASKN

Already did that. Some things still aren't the same. ;^;

There shouldn't be anything functionally different about the old theme. I didn't alter anything with it -- that's why it's still there, in case some users have older incompatible browsers, or some other specific issue.

Are you having a specific problem with something?

Edited by JASKN

The content that used to be on the right of the forums page wasn't really relevant to the forum -- unrelated Facebook status updates and the like. I haven't put that space out of mind for future updates with content that is specifically relevant to the forums -- content such as a FAQ of forum topics, or similar. Step by step, though. If you have any ideas, that's what this thread is for!

As I mentioned above, the chat is new. It's replacing the old chat. What way in particular is the chat not working for you?

Edited by JASKN

Yes, that was the one issue with that background. I liked that particular image of the Statue of Liberty enough that I decided to use it anyway -- at least until someone complained! I'll look for another one soon I guess.

In the meantime, as I mentioned in the first post, there are several background images to choose from, which become your default until you select a different one. Look at the top of the forum next to "View New Content," and click that little paintbrush icon. The other images shouldn't conflict with any other elements or text.

You said "some issues"... Is there something else?

Edit: I may be able to change that text color instead, to something darker or not see-through.

Yeah-- I like the pic too.  The style is nice and the clear icons and banner bars is neat.  Just change the color of the text.   The names can be seen because they are bold white with a shadow and scroll over the darker area of the picture.  The times are in the white area... so I'd go with a black or dark gray color of the font.

Another issue is that when logging into objectivismonline.com I am remembered and recognized.  When coming to objectivismonline.net I am shown as a guest...  You'll need to probably put a permanent redirect on whichever you want the official name to be.

I'll post about some of the other issues in a second...

I did a permanent redirect for both .com and .net. However, web domains aren't something I'm an expert about, so maybe I'm missing something... Or your browser hasn't updated both yet? Or try logging in under both, and it will remember? It remembers me for both .com and .net

It just never finishes loading.

I'll Google a bit about this. I never had an issue and so far there are no other reports. Maybe try clearing your browser cache for the forum once. Is anyone else having problems loading the chat?

I did a permanent redirect for both .com and .net. However, web domains aren't something I'm an expert about, so maybe I'm missing something... Or your browser hasn't updated both yet? Or try logging in under both, and it will remember? It remembers me for both .com and .net

I updated my bookmark to .com -- so it isn't a problem.  On your domain though.  I think it is called a "permanent" redirect.  That's the kind that changes the url in your browser and directs you to the intended domain.    

I think you can do it from inside your hosting account tools... You can probably also do it with a .htaccess file on the root of objectivismonline.net.  

Attached is a pic with the dates changed to black.  That works better because it never scrolls over anything dark.    The names (white) are still hard to see.  They look better in black but when you scroll over Liberty's crown it will disappear.   If there is way to make a light grey stroke around the text, that would solve that.  Not sure if CSS does stroke or outline.

post-7262-0-65852200-1391032491_thumb.pn

OH!  I just noticed the background selection feature where you can pick different backgrounds... That will make figuring out the right font color a little more difficult.   The white looks good for darker backgrounds.  The light backgrounds need a darker font.  

Or, again... the outline/stroke text solution could work.   (if that's even possible)

That's what I was talking about with the paintbrush icon! :)

The rest will have to wait until after work tonight, then I can mess with it.

Yeah... I read through that too fast... I just thought you meant you had that control on your end... I read it wrong.

That's something to consider.. We could always change the other three backgrounds every once in a while... Although some people like change more than others, and we may eliminate a favorite!

Edited by JASKN