Objectivism Online Forum

Did Ayn Rand commit the fallacy of reification?

Rate this topic

<snip>

But Newton also believed in alchemy, so what's that called?

<snip>

BH

Thanks, BH - you reminded me of something in such a way that I can post something about this in a follow up that I think deserves it's own thread.

Edited: Added

added hyperlink to follow up thread.

Edited by dream_weaver

Sorry, I'm neither softwareNerd; able to address your insecurities on these issues; or Harrison, able to categorize your rationalizations for what they are.

B)  B) B)  My day has officially been made.

Just like to point out for Bill that this:

Perhaps my gloss, then, is either putting words in her mouth or making her appear far more profound than she was. After all, i'm trying my best to place her in the company of Aristotle, Russell, Kripke...while you're reducing her to a melange of Ken Wilbur, Dr Phil, and Sarah Palin.

Is where our failure to communicate comes from.

"Fear not the man who has practiced 10000 kicks once, but the man who has practiced one kick 10000 times."  -Bruce Lee.

Ayn Rand said that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads.

And if that statement does not strike you as among the most profoundly sacred in the English language, it's because you don't understand all of that 'mundane' stuff nearly as well as you think you do.

If you sincerely want to understand it then you have to start with the basics.

Live long and prosper.

Edited by Harrison Danneskjold

Buddah,

As I mentioned in another post, situating Rand's epistemology in the company of those who you cited was meant as a complement.

For my own purposes, i'm trying to figure out where she fits in. Therefore, your knowledge of these philosophers would be of great benefit.

With anticipatory thanks, Bill 

lol

Bill, do you really believe that Hume, Kant, Hegel, Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, Wittgenstein, Popper, Russell, etc. etc. etc. believe that man can obtain objective knowledge from the senses?

With anticipation of your actually understanding (some day in the distant future) what you read, thanks