Objectivism Online Forum
  • °

Objectivism Is The Everyman's Philosophy

In the universe, what you see is what you get,

figuring it out for yourself is the way to happiness,

and each person's independence is respected by all

• Rand's Philosophy in Her Own Words

• "Metaphysics: Objective Reality"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed/Wishing won’t make it so." "The universe exists independent of consciousness"
    • "Epistemology: Reason" "You can’t eat your cake and have it, too." "Thinking is man’s only basic virtue"
    • "Ethics: Self-interest" "Man is an end in himself." "Man must act for his own rational self-interest" "The purpose of morality is to teach you[...] to enjoy yourself and live"
    • "Politics: Capitalism" "Give me liberty or give me death." "If life on earth is [a man's] purpose, he has a right to live as a rational being"
  • Objectivism Online Chat

Are Economics And Political Systems Inter-related?

Michelangelo
    By Michelangelo,
    I was told that political and economic systems are COMPLETELY seperate--having nothing to do with each other. This doesn't seem to make sense because economic freedom can either be restricted or left alone by government. What did Ayn Rand have to say about the relation between these two systems?

Glad To Find This Small Refuge

Reidwriter
    By Reidwriter,
    Man, did I need to find this place! I'm just coming off a rant at a screenwriting forum I post at. Someone had posted a synopsis of his script about the evils of hmo, corporate medicine, and people trying to make money from hospitals. He then went on to state how he wanted to do something about all the personal ambition and corporate greed. When I pointed out that personal ambition and the profit motive are the things that have made modern medicine so desirable, he asked me if I ever had

Objectivists,time To Wake Up

OldGrayBob
    By OldGrayBob,
    Objectivists it is time to wake up. Some of us have reached the point of being an objectivist by an intellectual exercise and other through live experiences. Either way we have reach a common ground. We demand rationality in our daily life. We have all read Ayn Rand's beautiful prose and said to ourselves we are not alone in demanding rationality in our lives. I have read and listened to Anthem a number of times and every time feel like cheering at the end. In the Fountainhead, I see Howar

Club Help

Samoht
    By Samoht,
    I have been thinking of starting an objectivist club at my college, The University of Central Arkansas. I wanted some advice from those of you who have either formed, or been members of, campus obj. clubs. The idea is in the very early stages (I made the decision to commit myself today) but I do know of two other people who attend UCA (through ARI) who may be interested in helping. Before I contact them I want to have a solid foundation. I have the requirements for establishing a campus organ

Anyone There?

rohan
    By rohan,
    I am posting this message with great reluctance(i dont know why)... I am an engineering student(in india), in my fourth year.. Campus placements have started in our college.. I am a chemical engineering student and well, that was my first treason with myself - I took the course not cause i was interested in it but because it was the best option available in terms of aquiring jobs... I was too small then to understand then.. i was introduced to ayn rand only in my third year.. I atte

Dating & Love

KevinD
    By KevinD,
    This is a personal message I wrote to Aspiring Objectivist, in response to a situation he brought up in a thread titled "Can You Love Who You Can't Truly Respect?" With his permission, I am posting it here, because it might be of interest and value to others. I agree with MisterSwig that her statement is a line. It always is. One thing you need to know about women is that they do not reject you directly. There is always some "reason," some excuse offered. She turns down the date

Differences btw evaluation vs. moral judgement?

AndrewSternberg
    By AndrewSternberg,
    I am trying to understand the difference between Evaluation and Moral Judgement and how to apply them "metaphysical" facts vs. "man-made" facts. My understanding of evaluation is that it applys to both metaphysical and man-made facts and that it serves to identify the value of the relevent fact in relation to one's life, identifying whether it furthers or threatens it. My understanding of Moral Judgement is that it applys to the cause of man-made facts, i.e., one's choice to focus on r

Grandparent's Rights Qua Grandparent

knuckles
    By knuckles,
    Some US jurisdictions have laws giving visitiation rights to grandparents. This means that grandparents have a right to visit their grandchildren over the objections of the parents. Does not seem right to me. Any thoughts?

Actions And Ideas

aynfan
    By aynfan,
    Peikoff argues in "Fact and Value" that untrue philosophical ideas are evil -- that there can be "no dichotomy... between the true and the good. Rand said: People should be judged by their actions which are either good or evil, but can we also judge them for their thoughts and ideas? Can an idea be intrinsically evil? What about someone who thinks a bad thought, but never puts it into practice?

Right to Life

source
    By source,
    Hi. I just finished this article and placed it on my site (link in my sig). I'd just like some feedback. Thanks. Right to Life Huge debates today are raised over issues of the right to life. Does an unborn child have the right to life? Does a mother have the right to abort the unborn child? Should euthanasia be allowed? Do fetuses have rights? Politicians are working overtime to make a law which would ban abortion and euthanasia and cloning. Human rights organizations are performing ev

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS