Objectivism Online Forum
  • °

Objectivism Is The Everyman's Philosophy

In the universe, what you see is what you get,

figuring it out for yourself is the way to happiness,

and each person's independence is respected by all

• Rand's Philosophy in Her Own Words

• "Metaphysics: Objective Reality"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed/Wishing won’t make it so." "The universe exists independent of consciousness"
    • "Epistemology: Reason" "You can’t eat your cake and have it, too." "Thinking is man’s only basic virtue"
    • "Ethics: Self-interest" "Man is an end in himself." "Man must act for his own rational self-interest" "The purpose of morality is to teach you[...] to enjoy yourself and live"
    • "Politics: Capitalism" "Give me liberty or give me death." "If life on earth is [a man's] purpose, he has a right to live as a rational being"
  • Objectivism Online Chat

How do you personally ground your abstractions?

Bowzer
    By Bowzer,
    I took the course when it was originally given some years ago, but I have recently purchased Objectivism Through Induction (OTI) and I am doing the course again. I found OTI fascinating then and I am finding it even more fascinating this time around. OTI's basic purpose is to get you to see principles as "summaries of concretes." I would like to learn how you fight floating abstractions in your own thinking. What techniques have you found useful? How do you identify those abstractions which

Introductions

Guest Kien
    By Guest Kien,
    I registered this weekend so I had better introduce myself before long. My name is Kien Nguyen from So. Orange, NJ. I am an architect with my own office for the last 13 years. I came across Objectivism 6 years ago at mid-life and mid-career and yet there were no difficulties with me identifying with it fully. I'm sure it would be more difficult had I been married to any of the few women I knew; one predicted for me a perpetual single life because I won't go with the flow and just set

Howdy From Houston

scottkursk
    By scottkursk,
    Hello. Where to begin. Lessee....was an athiest since at least 82 at the ripe age of 12. Was introduced into the free market by a group called 10 Pillars Foundation that took mush brained kids in public schools about how important free market economics is. They also had a group of kids called the Constitutional Corroborators. They had 8 kids that memorized the constitution. Not a simple feat. The groups now employess people like Burton Folsom and Jacob "Bumper" Hornberger to teach public sc

Not Voting

MisterSwig
    By MisterSwig,
    Some people here have stated that they do not intend to vote for a president in the coming election, because the candidates are too evil. This brings to mind two questions: 1. At what point is a candidate so evil that you absolutely cannot vote for him? 2. And, in general, does a non-vote have any value? If so, in what context? I haven't formulated answers to these questions. Before giving my own thoughts, I'd appreciate any comments.

Warding Of Trolls

Bold Standard
    By Bold Standard,
    I had an idea on a way to possibly reduce the amount of trolls comming in, while still allowing those new to Objectivism (even to philosophy in general) to feel comfortable to ask questions and learn and not be in fear of wasting our time, or of being rejected etc. Those new to Ayn Rand and just for the first time trying to sort through the massive amount of information and missinformation about her and her ideas are sure to run into a massive amount of "Rand slandered." The reasons behi

Two lectures for sale

Atlas51184
    By Atlas51184,
    Anyone interested in buying either Introduction to Logic or Objective Communication? The price for Intro to Logic at Ayn Rand Bookstore is $225, I'm selling it for $100. Objective Communication goes for $195. I'll sell it for $80. They are both in perfect condition (audio tapes) and have all the booklets they came with. I'm selling them because I need money. Send me an email at [email protected] if you are interested in buying.

What are Rand's views of Aristotle's Prime Mover?

coirecfox
    By coirecfox,
    I have never read, seen, or heard about any instance where Rand address Aristotle's Prime Mover? Did she ever? If she didn't, why not?

Hello

The Owl
    By The Owl,
    Hi. I hope it is okay that I registered even though I am not an Objectivist, or even a student of Objectivism. I'm simply going through some of Ayn Rand's texts, and figured doing some reading at this site might help me clear up any confusion I might otherwise have, from reading them. I might ask the occassional question in the "general" forum, but even then I promise I'll try to search for an answer BEFORE asking it. It was the fact that I couldn't get the search feature to function until

Hi!!

egodart
    By egodart,
    Hello everybody, I owned and ran a fashion house for seven years, then worked as an assistant to a private architect for 3 years while I continued my private studies in philosophy and then worked as editor and designer of the feature/magazine section of a daily newspaper for 5 more years. I have recently relocated to Mumbai, India. My first and last love remain movies from when I was 4 to this day and forever. Currently I am engaged full time in medical recovery and film training.

Greetings from AutoJC

AutoJC
    By AutoJC,
    Thanks to a link from the Capitalism forum, I'm here. I am AutoJC, the username of an architect from Southern New England. I addition to here, I also post at forums related to my profession, as well as the Capitalism Forum, MacNN's Political War forum (where I post as saab95), Macaddict's MiniThink, Fubar forums, and Ihateapple.com. I also have my own website and forum I am elated that someone took the time and effort to concoct a forum for us capitalists and objectivists.

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS