Objectivism Online Forum
  • °

Objectivism Is The Everyman's Philosophy

In the universe, what you see is what you get,

figuring it out for yourself is the way to happiness,

and each person's independence is respected by all

• Rand's Philosophy in Her Own Words

• "Metaphysics: Objective Reality"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed/Wishing won’t make it so." "The universe exists independent of consciousness"
    • "Epistemology: Reason" "You can’t eat your cake and have it, too." "Thinking is man’s only basic virtue"
    • "Ethics: Self-interest" "Man is an end in himself." "Man must act for his own rational self-interest" "The purpose of morality is to teach you[...] to enjoy yourself and live"
    • "Politics: Capitalism" "Give me liberty or give me death." "If life on earth is [a man's] purpose, he has a right to live as a rational being"
  • Objectivism Online Chat

Hello From Houston

Bold Standard
    By Bold Standard,
    My name is David R Marsilia. I'm 22, and I first discovered Ayn Rand when the movie version of The Fountainhead was shown in my senior English class at the public school I attended (the one good thing I got from school!). I'm now a devoted fan of Ayn Rand and student of Objectivism. I'm a musician- I play amplifiers, guitars, effects, drum machines and other instruments. I do what I can to portray my "benevolent universe", and I'd so much like to see a new kind of Tiddly Wink emerge in po

Businessmen In Atlas Shrugged

oldsalt
    By oldsalt,
    I once gave Atlas Shrugged to an acquaintance to read. After reading it, he said that he enjoyed it, BUT that he didn't think that all businessmen were the way Miss Rand described them: honest, upright, etc. I asked him which businessmen he was talking about, those like Hank Reardon, or those like Orrin Boyle. Miss Rand didn't portray just one type of businessman, but men of varying degrees of virtue. Has this happened to anyone else? Why would anyone zero in on the best (deny that th

Hi , Rana Here

galt
    By galt,
    hi....rana here, i am abhishek singh rana .....among our peers to be on last name basis is considered as a hint of closeness. the story of my introduction to objectivism is an ironically unusual one. the guy who suggested A.S. to me is a kabadiwala.......a kabadiwala is a guy who purchases old newspapers and sells these to paper mills for recycling, he keeps the chance books and sells these at low prices. this kabadiwala freind of mine also keeps the pirated versions of certain popular

Informer

pvtmorriscsa
    By pvtmorriscsa,
    Howdy all, I know this may seem like a strange thing to ask. Let me begin by explaining that I live in Columbus, OH, and I sling pizza for a living. In my job, I deliver to all sorts of people. From the very rich to the very poor. Furthermore, we have a fairly diverse population here in Columbus, so I see people from all parts of the world. The other day I delivered pizza to a couple of middle eastern looking men. The language barrier was a bit of a problem, but the tip was good so I th

Ronald Reagan

CICEROSC
    By CICEROSC,
    I see there's not much comment here yet on the death of Ronald Reagan, but I, for one, as an admirer of Ayn Rand's work, mourn his passing, and want to say that I always considered him to embody much of the "sense of life" that I see portrayed in her work. I know that he had his failings, which Ayn Rand addressed, but the world would be a lot better place if we had more Ronald Reagans and fewer of the standard fence-sitters who populate the Republican party.

Toohey's Minions

oldsalt
    By oldsalt,
    In this blog entry from A Small Victory, the author goes after political cartoonist Ted Rall, over his outrageous cartoon vilifying Pat Tillman. Ayn Rand is mentioned in two comments which compare Rall with Toohey. Now, I don't think Rall is a Toohey. He's more a Gus Webb, if you ask me. But, in this article from Insight Magazine Online, there is profiled a man who may fit the description nicely.

Draft

Areactor
    By Areactor,
    A friend bought this to my attention today. No comment right now. I'm just speechless. http://www.congress.org/congressorg/issues...=ua_congressorg Pending Draft Legislation Targeted for Spring 2005 The Draft will Start in June 2005 There is pending legislation in the House and Senate (twin bills: S 89 and HR 163) which will time the program's initiation so the draft can begin at early as Spring 2005 -- just after the 2004 presidential election. T

What is the nature of deja vu?

Concerto of Atlantis
    By Concerto of Atlantis,
    I hope this is the right board topic to post under for this subject. Anyway, I get very strong feelings of Deja Vu from time to time, and no-one has ever been able to explain what causes it in a satisfactory way. Do any of you know and care to tell me?

Dagny

Dagny
    By Dagny,
    i'm 23, majoring in economics, thinking of maybe double majoring in math as well. Living in Los Angeles, CA. My favorite book is Atlas Shrugged, though the Fountainhead is a close second.

Hello From Czech Republic

Vavrinec
    By Vavrinec,
    Hi all, I'm student of finance and economics from Czech Republic. I've discovered objectivism during last year at high school through articles of Jiri Kinkor - great czech objectivist who translated OPAR into czech. I'm primarily interested in economics and finance and their application to investing. I work part-time as financial journalist. I enjoy good art, non fiction books and also practicing martial arts. I've spent several hours in the last few days reading some discussions on

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS