Objectivism Online Forum
  • °

Objectivism Is The Everyman's Philosophy

In the universe, what you see is what you get,

figuring it out for yourself is the way to happiness,

and each person's independence is respected by all

• Rand's Philosophy in Her Own Words

• "Metaphysics: Objective Reality"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed/Wishing won’t make it so." "The universe exists independent of consciousness"
    • "Epistemology: Reason" "You can’t eat your cake and have it, too." "Thinking is man’s only basic virtue"
    • "Ethics: Self-interest" "Man is an end in himself." "Man must act for his own rational self-interest" "The purpose of morality is to teach you[...] to enjoy yourself and live"
    • "Politics: Capitalism" "Give me liberty or give me death." "If life on earth is [a man's] purpose, he has a right to live as a rational being"
  • Objectivism Online Chat

How Do I Edit A .gif File?

I. Kant
    By I. Kant,
    Does anyone know how-the-devil I edit a .gif file?

What Political Party Do You Vote For?

Dagny
    By Dagny,
    mostly i have voted Republican in the past, but then i don't agree with all republican issues. for instance i'm pro-choice. as elections are coming up I'm curious as to what my fellow objectivists choose when they go to vote, if at all. Don't forget to let us know why you vote for your political party in the forum replies.

What do you think of the concept of "luck"?

RationalBiker
    By RationalBiker,
    I have been thinking about this for awhile and I don't really believe in luck as a concept. I have seen too many references to people as being lucky, unlucky, fortunate or unfortunate as though their preparation, behavior and actions had nothing to do with their outcomes. I envision some people thinking of luck as some unseen mystical force at work favoring some folks and slamming others. Me, I think it's merely intricate physics or other casual factors which are unknown, unpredictabl

Humorous Stories Of Activism?

Pericles(MBA)
    By Pericles(MBA),
    I'm curious if anybody has funny activism stories they would care to relate. I have a recent one, from a friend of mine. ...lets call him 'Larry'. Affirmative action is an issue that pushes his buttons. One day he decided to do something, that although arguably was not very effective, is still a funny story. He heard about a job opening with a university, that involved his field of information technology support, but the job description specifically requested someone of hispanic

Hello, My Name is Cameron

cma
    By cma,
    Hi, I just joined. About me: I like Science, politics, debate, phychology, reading, thinking, music, and philosophy I live in Charlotte, NC, USA That is about it. I would like to volunteer and do some work for this great website. My overall goal for life is to change the world for the better.

Price Controls In Foreign Markets

Evangelical Capitalist
    By Evangelical Capitalist,
    Another thread about export subsidies reminded me of a problem I've thought about, but to which I have not found a solution. Specifically, the problem of foreign governments imposing price controls on goods produced by domestic companies. Normally, this would result in a shortage of the product in question. There seems to be at least one exception to this: pharmaceuticals. Pharmaceuticals differ from a "normal" product in two respects: the market for a particular drug is limited to the incid

Somalia

aynfan
    By aynfan,
    26, at last count, warlords fighting for dominance; each controlling a portion of the real estate, and each with his own army, rules and means of enforcement. Is this anarchy in action?

Chat

xobject
    By xobject,
    My browser does not open you chat-box. Could you give me the IRC server name

How 'bout 'dem Blues?

RationalBiker
    By RationalBiker,
    I noticed another thread discussing jazz, and that prompted to me finally post about the Blues, a music form I appreciate. Are there any other Blues fans on the forum? There are several artists I like including BB King, Robert Cray, Robert Johnson, Eric Clapton, Keb Mo', Bonnie Raitt and a few others. While there are some classic blues artists in that list, you may notice most are more contemporary. I find that many blues songs (and artists) have a great sense of life (at least as I

My Intro

Kellymeg80
    By Kellymeg80,
    Hi all, Kelly here 23, living in NJ. I have a BA in music history/theory from Penn State and am currently studying fine art at the Art Student's League of NY and Graphic Design at Gibbs College. I'm an arts lover (in case you couldn't tell) and appreciate all things beautiful. I enjoy getting out and enjoying life, not just talking about it, but a good philosophical discussion is enjoyable, too. I enjoy dancing (swing especially), reading, painting, drawing and broadway shows amon

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS